Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 1.6 hdi timing belt problem
Thumbs Down 
hi looking advice please
i stripped van down to do timing belt kit change and waterpump. i rotated engine twice with no issues but fuel pump wasnt timed so i went to rotate again the see if it would line up aswell(even though i think pump doesnt need timed on these)
anyway i heard like loud click noise maybe 3 times. now the engine wont completely rotate and locks up. i had the small plastic bit at the bottom of the crankshaft off the bit that stops it slipping teeth.
has it slipped teeth? 
what are my options as i cant rotate engine can i take the belt of and turn camshaft and the crankshaft until they line up with the factory timing marks then put belt back on and tension belt and try to see if the engine will rotate then line up?
is there any possible damage?

any help be much appreciated thanks in advance
(24-03-2021, 07:19 PM)gpowens1 Wrote:  . . .  can i take the belt of and turn camshaft and the crankshaft until they line up with the factory timing marks then put belt back on and tension belt and try to see if the engine will rotate then line up?
is there any possible damage?

any help be much appreciated thanks in advance

Yes, take the belt off and turn the the crank & camshaft until you get the timing marks in position, you will have to "feel" your way so do it gently and slowly. 
You may reach a point where you feel resistance and you can't turn the crank any further, in that case try to turn the camshaft (only turn the camshaft clockwise) if you can't turn it rotate the crankshaft backwards a little until you can, proceed like that until you get the timing marks lined up.

Remember only turn the camshaft pulley clockwise.

When the marks are lined up refit the belt and take it from there.

I don't think you need to worry about any damage as you were only turning over by hand.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Sorry, where does it say he was turning the engine by hand?

He could well have been cranking it on the starter and consequently done too much in the way of damage.

Geoff
sorry should have been clearer. yes i only rotated by hand battery was disconected before i started stripping down the belt. have done 2 of these in past year and i know they are straight forward couldnt figure why. thought maybe bolt or something had fell and caught in one of cogs or something. just wanted verification that i wont cause any harm by taking belt of an rotating the crank and camshaft by hand to factory markings before putting belt back on and rotating the engine again and hopefully engine will he freed up and rotate freely and all timing marks align again
(24-03-2021, 09:23 PM)Guanock Wrote:  Sorry, where does it say he was turning the engine by hand?

He could well have been cranking it on the starter and consequently done too much in the way of damage.

Geoff

It doesn't say he was turning it by hand... but I assumed it was by hand as he said he turned it over twice and then rotated it once more. . .  if you were cranking the engine I'm not sure how you could be that precise.

Thumbs Up 
Let us know how you get on once you have the belt back on.

thanks. ive been sitting looking at it past few days havent had courage to do it. could be the weekend before i take the plunge.hopefully if all lines up way it should but i will still be nervous when i turn the key
I think everyone suffers that feeling of slight apprehension when starting an engine following a timing belt change no matter how experienced they are, so you're not on your own.

Good luck.  Wink

?? true i doubt everything anyway but this time will be a new extreme lol
Moved to the correct section.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van