Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy Flexible Brake Hose ?
This is not for a Berlingo, it's actually for my 2011 Expert so I've posted in the General Chat.

In the process of changing rear brake discs  I noticed that the pipe into the caliper which is about 20mm long shows some slight corrosion. I think it's OK & hopefully the MOT will confirm, but just in case I'm thinking about what to do if it needs to be replaced.

There's the short 20mm or so fixed pipe into the caliper which is crimped to a flexi hose about 200mm long, the flexi is then crimped at the other end to another fixed pipe. I'm thinking that the crimped flexi hose can be replaced by a hose that uses threaded connections at each end & replace the short pipe into the caliper, or simply get a flexi hose to screw direct to the caliper and a threaded connector to the original pipe but I'm not sure where to buy them from.

I have pipe & pipe forming tools, just not sure where the best place is to get flexi hoses?

There's a Berlingo part that looks similar to what I'm after, but it's probably a bit too long.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Citroen-B...Swve5bM0hA
This site may be useful, in that you might be able to find the actual part number of the pipe you need for your vehicle. You input your actual VIN number to give you the correct parts catalogue.

http://www.catcar.info/peugeot/?lang=en
(01-04-2021, 11:43 AM)Multispacer Wrote:  This site may be useful, in that you might be able to find the actual part number of the pipe you need for your vehicle. You input your actual VIN number to give you the correct parts catalogue.

http://www.catcar.info/peugeot/?lang=en

Thanks, I've looked on catcar but the part is only available from some French suppliers and so would probably be a dealer only part in the UK. The actual part is quite long as it consists of 2 flexi pipes & a complicated set of bends on the fixed pipe but there is plenty of room to splice or graft a threaded flexi pipe on in place of the old one.
I used to use gloveboxdirect.com but they seem to have changed owner and they were/are quite expensive, but have a fairly comprehensive list of parts. Autodoc.co.uk may also be of some use, but delivery is >7 days depending on if they have fixed the tariff issues at the beginning of the year as the delivery is from Germany despite the .co.uk ending site.
smile, you are alive!
Thanks Saskak, Glovebox was the name I was trying to remember, I'll see if they have the part I'm after.

Update:

Seems they're now called Autofixa, they also don't have the part.

I'm thinking that the best solution will be a screwed on flexi hose, there was a time when you could go into a parts shop and they'd rummage around to try & find something. Can't remember the last time I saw a shop like that.
(01-04-2021, 03:52 PM)cancunia Wrote:  Thanks Saskak, Glovebox was the name I was trying to remember, I'll see if they have the part I'm after.

Update:

Seems they're now called Autofixa, they also don't have the part.

I'm thinking that the best solution will be a screwed on flexi hose, there was a time when you could go into a parts shop and they'd rummage around to try & find something. Can't remember the last time I saw a shop like that.

If you just want a piece of flexible hydraulic pipe then maybe try contacting someone like Pirtek who provide flexi hydraulic pipes that are made to size?

http://www.pirtek.co.uk

It looks like they have a branch in Lincoln.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Multispacer for this post:
  • cancunia
Hydraulic component repairers/agricultural engineers may have the pipe & the special tools/ferrules for crimping - but the plain metal pipe ends that you have in place at the moment will probably have 'formed' ends to stop the pipe pushing off, so can't be simply replaced with a home made pipe section with an added flexi.. I'd guess that the original metal ends serve a purpose or they'd have fitted cheaper all-in-one flexis.
Brake failure is going to be pretty dramatic if something does let go. 
I've always been amazed by the thin-ness of a corroded brake pipe when I've cut them open . Sad
(01-04-2021, 07:56 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  Hydraulic component repairers/agricultural engineers may have the pipe & the special tools/ferrules for crimping - but the plain metal pipe ends that you have in place at the moment will probably have 'formed' ends to stop the pipe pushing off, so can't be simply replaced with a home made pipe section with an added flexi.. I'd guess that the original metal ends serve a purpose or they'd have fitted cheaper all-in-one flexis.
Thanks for the replies, as I'm in Lincolnshire there are quite a few agricultural suppliers so that might well be a good place to start, Pirtek may also be a good lead. I'll take the advice of the MoT tester on the safety of the existing pipe, it's only got a small amount of corrosion so may well be within limits but the thing is that it won't get better so will need sorting.

Yep, there must be a reason why the connection to the caliper is on a short stub of rigid pipe rather than a screw in flexi, I think the Berlingo may have the same arrangement but using a screwed flexi rather than crimped. The plan is to re-make the end of the main rigid pipe so that a threaded flexi pipe can be attached. I have the correct tools to do that and also pipe to make a new stub pipe for the other end. 
What's missing is the flexi pipe of the right length with threaded ends.
I've attached a pic of the Berlingo part for info.

(02-04-2021, 07:30 AM)cancunia Wrote:  . . . The plan is to re-make the end of the main rigid pipe so that a threaded flexi pipe can be attached. I have the correct tools to do that and also pipe to make a new stub pipe for the other end . . .

Are you tools capable of flaring the original steel pipe? most tools will do copper or copper nickel but struggle with steel. 

200mm double female brake hose....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-REAR-BRAKE...1195.m1851

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Thanks for the link, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm after. I found similar on Amazon so am making progress.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borg-Beck-BBH60...=303698031

Re the steel pipe, yes I remember making new pipes for my MX5 and had to join them to the existing steel which the cheap tool I had struggled with, but did manage eventually. I now have a professional tool donated to me by an ex mechanic & failing that, I'll ask the local garage to do it for me.