Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spare wheel location
Just bought a Berlingo 2012 and the garage cable tied the spare wheel to the back of the drivers seat. I was told that some models don't/didn't come with cages underneath and that one would need to be fitted.

Any truth in this ? Where do the spare wheels normally go ?  Ideally I'd like it under and out of the way.
The spare wheel is normally underneath at the back. I think there are a couple of threads on here about replacement cages. The handbook should show you the location & the screw mechanism the release it.
Mine is as standard, under the back in a cage. I plan to dump mine as I now have 17" alloys and I use tyreweld and a compressor. Lifting the van on a jack, trolley or screw, is a pain. It's tall, the points are sparse to lift it on and it's just horrible to do (I fitted the alloys) but the spare in the cage also looks like it was pulled from the bottom of the ocean, a ball of rust and dirt. Not the best place to put something you may need in a hurry in my book. Inside is better.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
I looked at mounting mine on the tailgate but it was just too problematic, not least the extra weight on the gas lifts.

Maybe one day someone will invent an inflatable one so it can be stowed in small spaces until needed...
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+
This is what I did: https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20746.html
My van: 2008 Berlingo 1.6 HDi Enterprise - a bit ratty!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RattyCortina for this post:
  • Gryffindor
(13-05-2021, 04:35 PM)RattyCortina Wrote:  This is what I did: https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20746.html

Thanks for the replies guys. When I asked the dealer to put the spare back underneath (it was lying in the van when I checked it out) this is exactly where he put it using cable ties when he found there was no cage.

I checked the manual and had a good look and you can see that there was originally a cage. There is certainly room and the through bolt is missing. I've plans for the van that don't go with the spare in the back so I'll be looking around for a cage in a breakers yard.
Photo 

That spare tyre space has been reserved for the bike. Held very well there with a reusable cable tie
On this guys does any one have any idea how much you should expect to pay for a spare wheel cage and bolt from a car dismantler ?
(16-05-2021, 02:51 PM)harringtonp Wrote:  On this guys does any one have any idea how much you should expect to pay for a spare wheel cage and bolt from a car dismantler ?

There are often quite a few sellers on eBay breaking Berlingos & Partners, if you ask some of them you'll be able to judge a good price. The thing to watch out for is corrosion on the bolt thread.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • harringtonp
(13-05-2021, 04:35 PM)RattyCortina Wrote:  This is what I did: https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20746.html

Very sensible and I've done similar in Transits, but unfortunately I now have an MPV not a van.

Last time I had a WAV the spare and its tools lived in the channel for the wheelchair ramp, under a piece of board.
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+