Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear washer/ wiper randomly turning on
The rear washer / wiper on my 2012 berlingo randomly does a wash/ wipe when I'm driving along. It's done this for a few years but has started getting more frequent.

I'm guessing it must be a problem with the switch on the wiper control stalk? How easy is it to replace this, or alternatively is there a relatively easy way to deactivate the rear wiper and washer control?
(14-09-2021, 11:02 AM)ed34 Wrote:  The rear washer / wiper on my 2012 berlingo randomly does a wash/ wipe when I'm driving along. It's done this for a few years but has started getting more frequent.

I'm guessing it must be a problem with the switch on the wiper control stalk? How easy is it to replace this, or alternatively is there a relatively easy way to deactivate the rear wiper and washer control?

Exact same problem with the exact same age of Berlingo. Would also like to know what could be at fault because I’m dumping screenwash left, right and centre.

I want to keep the wiper/wash function though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has also recently started (3/4 months) on my 2014 XTR.
It has also become more frequent lately, switching itself on 6 times on this mornings 10 minute drive.
I've no idea where to even start looking to try and resolve this.
In the OP the poster stated it happened randomly while driving along. To me, that would point to something like a chafing wire, rather than a switch problem. The loom to the rear wiper runs through a conduit into the rear door. I would start by removing the rear door panel [use a plastic trim removal tool, or some other such soft item, so as not to damage the panel] and remove the connector from the rear wiper motor and check the loom in the rear door, maybe even pulling the loom back a bit where it enters the car to see if there is damage inside the conduit, as that is the part where the loom is put under most stress when opening and closing the rear door. Normally these systems have a supply at the [in this case] wiper motor and are just looking for an "earth" signal [provided by switch operation] to complete the circuit and run. If you have a wire chafing on a piece of bodywork and shorting the conductors to earth then the circuit is completed and it will operate, so when you drive along going over bumps etc occasionally the wire will contact a piece of bodywork and short to earth.
One other thing, you will probably need to purchase some new trim clips for the rear door panel, as they are plastic and normally break on removal, as the plastic "ages" and goes brittle. These are readily available on Ebay and from other sources.
(25-09-2021, 03:35 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  In the OP the poster stated it happened randomly while driving along. To me, that would point to something like a chafing wire, rather than a switch problem. The loom to the rear wiper runs through a conduit into the rear door. I would start by removing the rear door panel [use a plastic trim removal tool, or some other such soft item, so as not to damage the panel] and remove the connector from the rear wiper motor and check the loom in the rear door, maybe even pulling the loom back a bit where it enters the car to see if there is damage inside the conduit, as that is the part where the loom is put under most stress when opening and closing the rear door. Normally these systems have a supply at the [in this case] wiper motor and are just looking for an "earth" signal [provided by switch operation] to complete the circuit and run. If you have a wire chafing on a piece of bodywork and shorting the conductors to earth then the circuit is completed and it will operate, so when you drive along going over bumps etc occasionally the wire will contact a piece of bodywork and short to earth.
One other thing, you will probably need to purchase some new trim clips for the rear door panel, as they are plastic and normally break on removal, as the plastic "ages" and goes brittle. These are readily available on Ebay and from other sources.

He says it washes and wipes! So not only wiper motor is running, it's like it has the command to wash and wipe, so I don't think that an short circuit or wire chafing will cause this..
Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6 BlueHDI 100, year 2017
If you like gaming visit GameForest
Yeah definitely the wash wipe command, it does the spray and the usual 2 or 3 wipes then stops. It always washes, never just the wiper itself.