Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low speed knock - Steering/suspension/engine mount ?
Morning all , 

MY second gen 15 plate Pug Partner outdoor 1.6 HDI on 53k has developed a light knock on slowing to a stop / starting up again above/below 5mph when slowing down on brakes or the gear box. 

Have pulled the wheels and pried at all the bushes/ball joints / springs are complete / Lock to lock with wheels up or down seems smooth and checked the brake calipers are actually tight. 

Seems to be a fair bit of movement in the engine mounts - are they common wear items on these ?  could be normal but i have not another 1.6hdi to compare. 

In addition to the noise you can feel a slight knock through the steering wheel. 

Any one had similar and solved it or am i moving to parts darts ?
06 pug partner van dw8 106k miles 
04 citroen berlingo forte  dw8 125k miles 
15 Pug Partner tepee outdoor 
05 iveco daily LWB campervan
87 Land rover ninety pick up 
16 1.2 Pug 108 GTline
electric long tail cargo bike. 
Forget darts for now .... get a local garage to check over probably £20 tops

Way better to have a list than play darts in my book.
The M59 1.6HDi engine mounts have been known to fail, but I don't recall seeing anything similar on the B9. @saskak has a thread or 2 on that subject.

The clunk may well be the drop links from the struts to the anti-roll bar.
(09-03-2022, 04:27 PM)cancunia Wrote:  The M59 1.6HDi engine mounts have been known to fail, but I don't recall seeing anything similar on the B9. @saskak has a thread or 2 on that subject.

The clunk may well be the drop links from the struts to the anti-roll bar.

Yeah, I had a vibration at specific rpms, still there though. I replaced both top engine and gearbox mounts, but solved nothing. It might be a slightly blocked injector. I was not playing parts darts, but too long of a story.

To come to the point, these do fail (the liquid leaks, etc.), but if you move the engine, even with hands, you can detect that fairly easy. My top mounts were like brand new at 100,000 miles and no liquid leak or cracks. I think the bottom engine mount fails more often than the top ones, but that might not be true. A crowbar or similar against solid metal with this mount you can see if it is solid.
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules
"Way better to have a list than play darts in my book."

Well i have a list .... just that none of the usual suspects are exhibiting wear.

Drop links were removed last night and i went for a drive. - still same noise - not that it is a noise id expect from drop links.

I also checked the CV joints for play/Knocking in full lock reversing into the drive as its feels like it could be in that kind of area but tbh it does it even slowing /speeding up going straight.
16 1.2 Pug 108 GTline
gonna check the gearbox engine mount and also the suspension.

Just googled for knocking at low speed on a 1.6HDI as i know its used in alot of vehicles

top complaint was the gearbox engine mount - anywhere between 40-80k . Im pap in the middle of that range.

Also another one that popped up fairly often for similar symptoms was the shock absorbers having back/forth play at the top of their travel only really noted when unweighted and the spring compressed.

If it was my car id let it develop but its the wifes and i dont drive it so much so by letting it develop theres a real risk things will fall off......
16 1.2 Pug 108 GTline
I had the exact same clunk-clonk when i braked and then pulled away again. I reckoned it was the dogbone mount at the bottom rear of the engine but didn't get as far as fixing it before it was traded in.

Like you, I pushed and pulled every thing on the suspension and driveshafts / wheels with no luck. Since it happened if I slowed down in gear and then accelerated again, I was pretty sure it was a lower engine mount. But, could also have been the wishbone (lower arm) rear bush.
Previous:
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(10-03-2022, 09:26 AM)Top drive Wrote:  gonna check the gearbox engine mount and also the suspension.

Just googled for knocking at low speed on a 1.6HDI as i know its used in alot of vehicles

top complaint was the gearbox engine mount - anywhere between 40-80k . Im pap in the middle of that range.

Also another one that popped up fairly often for similar symptoms was the shock absorbers having back/forth play at the top of their travel only really noted when unweighted and the spring compressed.

If it was my car id let it develop but its the wifes and i dont drive it so much so by letting it develop theres a real risk things will fall off......

Top mounts are worth a look and are relatively easy to change if you are getting knock from the front end