Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E Berlingo
Hi everyone. My name is David, and I have just ordered an E Berlingo, to replace our Grand Picasso.
The quoted delivery date is 20th July and I hope that this is achieved, though in the present climate we will have to wait and see.
What coincidence!
I've ordered a new microwave from Argos-I can collect it this morning.

ICE vehicles will slowly vanish leaving us with soul-less domestic appliances.

Good times.
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
Welcome David - I for one would be interested to hear when you get your new vehicle!

Personally I'm looking forward to the electric car era - quiet, clean and far fewer things to go wrong. Do people really buy a Berlingo for the romance of a revving engine? Can see that argument for some other cars but a Berlingo...?

That said I'll be trying to keep my 2003 workhorse going until the next generation of electric Berlingos come out - range on the current models is an issue for me, especially at the price...
For me it's both range and the fact that it looks pants!

The M49 is the best looking Berlingo. The M59 is close, but the headlights just doesn't suit it.
It will also mean that due to high voltage DC batteries and 3 phase motors with Inverter drives, less moving parts but more dangerous and difficult to work on unless you're an electrical engineer or have a good understanding of that stuff. Inverter drives, motors and batteries can still go wrong. But they either just go dead or leave with a big bang.

More reliable than a combustion engine, but you can't carry a can of electricity to revive your dead vehicle when it's run out of power, nor can your friendly corner garage do much work on it, other than the remaining mechanical stuff like brakes and tyres. It will mean a lot of folk getting towed to a dealership or auto-electrical shop. Home tinkering will be a thing of the past.

While it doesn't bother me as its what I do for a living, I would love an EV with a decent range for a reasonable price, or hope for the day when they have onboard generation that doesn't use petrol or diesel. I'm not sure the current version of EV will be the prevailing technology, much like Betamax tapes which had way longer run time but were superseded by VHS due to technical advancements.

Remember Tomorrow's World showing the new fangled CD device, saying it would last for ever and never stop working even if you fried an egg on it or threw it across a room? if only they knew lol.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • evdama
I'm not averse to electric- I like the quietness and the lack of fossil fuel consumption.

But we are not ready.
Range and recharge facility is still years behind.
My next van will hopefully be one but it will have to wait until things improve.

The used market will be treacherous as no one will get rid until the battery is shagged- which will be prohibitively expensive to replace.

People are tricked into buying electric cars because they are 'cleaner'
Sure they don't emit exhaust fumes but they will still leach out harmful chemicals from the body plastics polymers and paint even when sitting idle - same as ICE cars.
The manufacturing, marketing, distribution and parts/service infrastructure will remain virtually identical in its inherent pollution contribution and the dismantling industry will have more waste chemicals to illegally dump.

Recharging adds a big old lump to the energy bill and will need to be generated in larger amounts either by gas,oil nuclear- more pollution-and renewables cannot and will never keep up so forget that excuse.

Wars flare up over commodities like oil as we all know, but behind the scenes there's more going on
Is anyone aware of China and Russia's involvement in Afghanistan?
Buying up huge swathes of property and bunging sweeteners to the Taliban.
Why?
Because the land has rich pockets of valuable minerals used in electronics and rechargeable batteries.
They obviously will have human rights and environmental protection at the heart of the operation......yep
So are these vehicles actually cleaner in the bigger picture.......nope
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
I looked at a eBerlingo xl as a main all in one car but the wife veto'd. I'll be keeping an eye on the 2nd hand ones. I would love an EV esp if it meant longer load lengths in a short package. I like to see them putting in some solar on the roof maybe even solar glass and 240v internal pick up or a new DC standard port. It would be nice to jump in the car and know it always has a full tank.

Driving as a passion is done for me (at least on the roads) too many low speed zones, humps, cameras, congestion charges, parking, car hate to find driving within the law fun or even relaxing. I'm lucky that I have something oily and old school to take trackdays/off road and hoon around in. Now its about A-B in as calm as manager as possible. As the only driver in the house I'm looking forward to self driving and me being taxied about!
(13-04-2022, 10:01 AM)evdama Wrote:  I'm not averse to electric- I like the quietness and the lack of fossil fuel consumption.

But we are not ready.
Range and recharge facility is still years behind.
My next van will hopefully be one but it will have to wait until things improve.

The used market will be treacherous as no one will get rid until the battery is shagged- which will be prohibitively expensive to replace.

People are tricked into buying electric cars because they are 'cleaner'
Sure they don't emit exhaust fumes but they will still leach out harmful chemicals from the body plastics polymers and paint even when sitting idle - same as ICE cars.
The manufacturing, marketing, distribution and parts/service infrastructure will remain virtually identical in its inherent pollution contribution and the dismantling industry will have more waste chemicals to illegally dump.

Recharging adds a big old lump to the energy bill and will need to be generated in larger amounts either by gas,oil nuclear- more pollution-and renewables cannot and will never keep up so forget that excuse.

Wars flare up over commodities like oil as we all know, but behind the scenes there's more going on
Is anyone aware of China and Russia's involvement in Afghanistan?
Buying up huge swathes of property and bunging sweeteners to the Taliban.
Why?
Because the land has rich pockets of valuable minerals used in electronics and rechargeable batteries.
They obviously will have human rights and environmental protection at the heart of the operation......yep
So are these vehicles actually cleaner in the bigger picture.......nope

Wow....my brother from another mother. 

I take my hat off to your views Sir, they are a mirror of mine. Couldn't have put it better. (and you obviously love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul....there's that too.)
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • evdama
The E Berlingo is now the only new Berlingo there is, so there is no choice. I must say I am very surprised by that, since those who do longer journeys will have to look elsewhere.

I don’t do anything over 100 miles more than a couple of times a year, and don’t mind recharging on those rare occasions. I have a home charger, so virtually all of my charging will be done at home.

I have a giant breed dog, and need a car it can climb into without a hoist. The Berlingo is good for that, and pretty much everything else is ruled out by the current fashion for high tailgate sills.

I accept that I am an early EV adopter, but you doubters should thank us early adopters for being guinea pigs for you!

I was an early adopter for microwaves, video recorders (yes, Betamax), mobile phones and digital cameras, go I guess I have history.

And I have never regretted an early adoption…..yet!?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Leonberger for this post:
  • CARCSI
I would have an ev but I live in an apartment where there is no means to charge one.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van