Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo xtr+ problem
Hello

Can anyone help? I have a berlingo xtr+ van.  Done about 40,000 miles.   Drives fine when cold but as it warms up start to make rubbing sound, pulls to left then starts to vibrate.  Had wheel bearings checked, had drive shafts sent off for refurbe but are fine, spoken to gearbox speacilist who says gerabox unlikley to be at fault.. I am at a loss has anyone else experienced this.
Worth looking for a binding brake caliper - wheel hub will be hot, disc will take your skin off if you touch. If the symptoms arise and you can jack each corner up then it will show up as being difficult to rotate the wheel, although some drag will be present due to transmission.
(27-04-2022, 09:32 AM)oilyrag Wrote:  Worth looking for a binding brake caliper - wheel hub will be hot, disc will take your skin off if you touch. If the symptoms arise and you can jack each corner up then it will show up as being difficult to rotate the wheel, although some drag will be present due to transmission.

Thanks but the brakes are fine first thing I checked no heat at all and no additional wear.
If it is pulling to one side that can be generated by (apart from brake!) steering/axle issue which should show up as unevenly worn tyres, but that wouldn't explain the rubbing noise and unlikely to vibrate any worse when the van is warmed up, unless the tyres are gripping better. A check would be to have the van on a 4-wheel alignment jig.
Alternatively if the nearside of the van is slowing relative to the offside maybe there is a gearbox issue - possibly an output shaft bearing or diff bearing. Maybe jacking up the nearside when it happens and rotating the wheel may give a clue?
(27-04-2022, 04:35 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  If it is pulling to one side that can be generated by (apart from brake!) steering/axle issue which should show up as unevenly worn tyres, but that wouldn't explain the rubbing noise and unlikely to vibrate any worse when the van is warmed up, unless the tyres are gripping better. A check would be to have the van on a 4-wheel alignment jig.
Alternatively if the nearside of the van is slowing relative to the offside maybe there is a gearbox issue - possibly an output shaft bearing or diff bearing. Maybe jacking up the nearside when it happens and rotating the wheel may give a clue?

Thank you.  This I will check out.  The problem to do with noise started before the pulling and vibration about a month ago.  Not grinding then but sounded like a tyre screaching when I turned into lock at low speed.  Odly this noise also happened when not on tarmac but on grass. At that point I had the alignment checked but was ok
(27-04-2022, 05:35 PM)davebuilds Wrote:  
(27-04-2022, 04:35 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  If it is pulling to one side that can be generated by (apart from brake!) steering/axle issue which should show up as unevenly worn tyres, but that wouldn't explain the rubbing noise and unlikely to vibrate any worse when the van is warmed up, unless the tyres are gripping better. A check would be to have the van on a 4-wheel alignment jig.

Thank you.  This I will check out.  The problem to do with noise started before the pulling and vibration about a month ago.  Not grinding then but sounded like a tyre screaching when I turned into lock at low speed.  Odly this noise also happened when not on tarmac but on grass. At that point I had the alignment checked but was ok

Might be worth looking at the power steering - not sure what a failure of the valve assembly would do, but might it cause the steering to become biased to one side? Check the fluid !
K9 has electric power steering. Not sure what the OP has tho.
2021 130hp 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8 L2 XTR Gris Platinum
ex: 2003 1.4i cargo
(28-04-2022, 02:48 PM)boop Wrote:  K9 has electric power steering. Not sure what the OP has tho.

That's interesting - the reason I mentioned power steering is that some aftermarket electric power steering kits (ie MGB) can go into a mode that is similar to the issue above - and need to be centred a number of times lock to lock, or they 'shunt' around the off-centre position.