Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferry Crossing in Partner
An unusual query but has anyone ever taken their M49 Berlingo/Partner van on a Stena line crossing between Ireland and Scotland/England? More specifically the crossing from Belfast to Liverpool and back?

Looking at Stena Line here and to travel with a Partner Combi 2001+ it is £240
If you select Van the closest option available is upto 4.7m long and 2m in height and it costs £407

Now it's a principle thing here, I'm not entirely poverty spec but 167 beans is still 167 beans. Has anyone ever crossed selecting the combi even though it's a van and had any issues?

Thanks

Daniel
I live in the Republic and have travelled Holyhead/Dublin with a Multispace. 
I think there may be issues with your plan in that the 'van' spec is probably including a fully laden weight allowance and also the ferry operator gets a good bar/food revenue from the extra passengers that might be on board a family vehicle.  
Mind you, there's probably a few vans the back of which  are stuffed full of illegals on that route too. 
The risk is that you won't be allowed on or be held up whilst you have to pay the extra, which may be more than the advance booking rate......or get picked on by Customs! Angry
(29-08-2022, 03:10 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  I live in the Republic and have travelled Holyhead/Dublin with a Multispace. 
I think there may be issues with your plan in that the 'van' spec is probably including a fully laden weight allowance and also the ferry operator gets a good bar/food revenue from the extra passengers that might be on board a family vehicle.  
Mind you, there's probably a few vans the back of which  are stuffed full of illegals on that route too. 
The risk is that you won't be allowed on or be held up whilst you have to pay the extra, which may be more than the advance booking rate......or get picked on by Customs! Angry

Yeah they hold the power at that stage. I'll not be taking anything illegal over or back, it would be inconvenient if i get caught just  Smile

the joys of being a white van man eh?
We get it from all directions (fellow white van man)

My van is Euro 6, should be £30 a year road tax if it was the Multispace, but the van version is £290....they take no account of the Euro status when it's a van.

I know what I'd like to do to the DVLA person who decided this. Involving a sharp stick and their backside.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(29-08-2022, 06:41 PM)Zion Wrote:  I know what I'd like to do to the DVLA person who decided this. Involving a sharp stick and their backside.

That's probably how they made the decision in the first place Wink
(29-08-2022, 06:41 PM)Zion Wrote:  We get it from all directions (fellow white van man)

My van is Euro 6, should be £30 a year road tax if it was the Multispace, but the van version is £290....they take no account of the Euro status when it's a van.

Well, there's another reason for getting the window / car version!

As regards the ferry, I think that on cross channel ferries there's some kind of concession for vans that are not being used to carry goods, maybe something similar for NI ferries?
I've not checked the prices for vans on your route so maybe you've already got the 'non commercial' rate, but thought I'd mention it just in case.