Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long should the electrics run for with engine off?
I've had a problem with my 2015 van since I bought it new that the tablet, interior lights etc will switch off after about a minute of the engine being off and 'Eco mode' briefly appears on the tablet before everything goes off, also the battery will often go dead after not using the vehicle for around a week or more. I had the AA test the battery once and they said there was a fault on their diagnostic machine so it was taken back to the dealership where they ran their own battery test which said it was fine?! I didn't know where to go from there to be honest as they wouldn't replace it under warranty so I've just lived with it for the last few years and charged it up with my own battery starter the odd time it has gone dead.

I recently got a new battery and now I get maybe 15-20 minutes of radio then it goes off again so what would people expect to get with the engine off?

Also; not sure if it's related but is the USB port supposed to charge (engine on) as when I connect my phone the battery charging symbol appears on the phone but it puts almost no charge into it, maybe 1% an hour.
My van: Berlingo HDi L1 90hp 850 Enterprise 2015
Our older M59 goes into ECO mode after about 15 minutes. Do you have lighter type accessory sockets ? Try a USB adaptor in one of those and see what kind of charge rate it gives. You can get them for a few quid on eBay.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • Benny Blanco
15-20 mins is about right.

The standard USB port on the radio is very low output - try as Frenchie says, fit a proper cig lighter to USB charger. The stereo one will never charge a phone. It's not meant for that.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • Benny Blanco
Ok thanks I have a double USB plug for the 12v socket and have started using that instead.
Yeah I had the same expectation with mine, then learned it was only for iPod use, and puts out a measly 0.2A so it would take forever to charge anything.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
This ECO mode "facility" is something I have not liked - I was lucky to get a couple of minutes before things go switched off.  

I did find that a new battery gave longer time but apparently the best I can ever expect is about 20 mins before the ********  thing shuts everything down.

I have fitted a truck horn and I needed a permanent live wire for it so so I ran a permanently hot wire from the battery and I can and do use that for other things too.

I need to connect my flip up android to it so I can program routes with the ignition off but it does mean I run the risk of leaving it on by accident.

(09-12-2022, 09:20 AM)John Bilko Wrote:  I need to connect my flip up android to it so I can program routes with the ignition off but it does mean I run the risk of leaving it on by accident.

You can move a fuse to make one of the accessory points permanent live according to my Haynes manual, would that help ?
So where does this bit go then ?
(09-12-2022, 09:20 AM)John Bilko Wrote:  This ECO mode "facility" is something I have not liked - I was lucky to get a couple of minutes before things go switched off.  

I did find that a new battery gave longer time but apparently the best I can ever expect is about 20 mins before the ********  thing shuts everything down.

I have fitted a truck horn and I needed a permanent live wire for it so so I ran a permanently hot wire from the battery and I can and do use that for other things too.

I need to connect my flip up android to it so I can program routes with the ignition off but it does mean I run the risk of leaving it on by accident.

A truck horn?! lol need to see a video of that in action
(09-12-2022, 10:06 AM)Benny Blanco Wrote:  
(09-12-2022, 09:20 AM)John Bilko Wrote:  This ECO mode "facility" is something I have not liked - I was lucky to get a couple of minutes before things go switched off.  

A truck horn?! lol need to see a video of that in action

Normally I fit train horns - triples or quads -  but the air tank and compressor would end up in the back and I wanted the floor space clear so I went for a single truck horn.  I normally put the horns underneath, not on the roof; that way they are out of sight.

In this case the single truck horn is fitted where the spare wheel used to be.

I disliked the spare being where it was, a right pain to access, so now it is inside in the back a la Cherokee etc.  I was going to cut out the floor to access the spare from above but that is a long term mod.

At the moment I have no pics of the horn but it does blast nicely. lol
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Bilko for this post:
  • Benny Blanco
You fit train horns also?! ? Like an actual horn as loud as a train horn in a Berlingo? ?? Is that even legal lol?

Didn't realise this was a thing but just Googled it and apparently it is:

https://youtu.be/Ux-Gm1yu_j8