Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aerial replacement
Hi. I was trying to change a aerial of a van I bought last year 2010 berlingo b9 swb. Aerial was siezed so bad I heard a short pop (never good) from the small black base unit. when I eventually managed to get it free it the signal in radio is gone. I assume now I've to replace the whole unit. Is it possible to fit one of thos shark fin style ones or what's the best one any recommendations as I spend my working day in the van. Thanks in advance
Just wondering, why were you trying to change the aerial in the first place, was it originally not working very well? If so what were the symptoms? Poor reception in general? Interference?

Getting back to your problem is the base broken or just the actual aerial itself?

Regarding a replacement, I'm sure there are 'shark-fin' types out there but they are rarely any better than normal aerials and if they are they tend to be the powered type, which would mean you would need to run a power feed cable up to the base.

Regarding any poor reception/interference on the radio. This is often caused by corrosion under the base of the aerial, as it needs to be clean to make a good contact, as it forms the 'ground plane' of the aerial, so often removal of the old aerial base and a good clean and then a light smear of conductive grease [or petroleum jelly/vaseline] under the base before refitting can help reception.

If you are suffering from interference this is often caused by third party additions to the vehicle, the most common ones being plug in USB type chargers that plug into the 12V sockets close to the radio and some can cause serious levels of interference.
(28-12-2022, 02:23 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  Just wondering, why were you trying to change the aerial in the first place, was it originally not working very well? If so what were the symptoms? Poor reception in general? Interference?
Getting back to your problem is the base broken or just the actual aerial itself?
Regarding a replacement, I'm sure there are 'shark-fin' types out there but they are rarely any better than normal aerials and if they are they tend to be the powered type, which would mean you would need to run a power feed cable up to the base.
Regarding any poor reception/interference on the radio. This is often caused by corrosion under the base of the aerial, as it needs to be clean to make a good contact, as it forms the 'ground plane' of the aerial, so often removal of the old aerial base and a good clean and then a light smear of conductive grease [or petroleum jelly/vaseline] under the base before refitting can help reception.
If you are suffering from interference this is often caused by third party additions to the vehicle, the most common ones being plug in USB type chargers that plug into the 12V sockets close to the radio and some can cause serious levels of interference.
I was replacing it after it got damaged one of d kids off d road managed to put a bad bend in it taught replacement was best. The base is fine well looks fine but when I was trying to twist it off it popped a little from one side inside the base I taught perhaps I'd broken something. I'll do what u said above and have a look see if a good clean does the job before I go looking for a full replacement.  I've 12 12v charger past owner seems to have it moved down under passer footwell but never caused any issues before with it. Thanks for your reply
??
Previous:
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(28-12-2022, 11:09 PM)Zion Wrote:  ??

I tried what u said above. Unfortunately I needed to fully replace the whole thing to get it back working .
inside the car. on the roof shelf at the windscreed, take down the light panel. I just take my hand on top of the shelf. and press down. then it popps out. now you see the inside f the roof. there should be a 10 or 13 mm nut in front. unscrew this one and the arial base is loose.

and just mount the new one. antenna with 70* angle and round base fits.