Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the 16v 1.6 hdi engine THAT bad?
Looking for DV6TED  engines at the scrappys to replace my grenaded engine.
Apparently they toss them all into the skip.

To quote..........."They're crap engines, we don't bother selling them"

I know they are really brutal on oil, and won't suffer fools or crap oil, but

are they really that Gash? Huh
188,000 miles & croaked.
No. Just a regular engine, nothing special.
They're alright as long as they're used, the ones that do low miles and get babied are the ones that give problems. I used to work for a firm with about 15 of them, most of them got loaded up and driven like they were stolen all over the country, they only ever needed routine servicing, tyres (lots of tyres) and accident damage. The one that spent it's life sat at the office and just got used locally was always in for repair.
(28-12-2022, 06:28 PM)smutts Wrote:  Looking for DV6TED  engines at the scrappys to replace my grenaded engine.
Apparently they toss them all into the skip.

To quote..........."They're crap engines, we don't bother selling them"

I know they are really brutal on oil, and won't suffer fools or crap oil, but

are they really that Gash? Huh

Your scrappie is talking utter tosh. 

If they had any, they'd want big bucks for them. 

I've had 5 HDi engined vans and in 11 years on the forum I've heard of around 4 go bang, two were due to water pumps jamming the timing belt and the other two were oil starvation from poor maintenance.

Put it this way...there are something like 2,000,000 HDi engines on the road, if they were all rubbish do you think the only Berlingo forum in the UK would have seen 4 engine failures?

They're in BMW, Peugeot, Mini, Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Volvo... in fact everywhere. I don't know what universe your scrappie comes from bud.

Try someone else. Look on eBay. They're not giving them away free.
Previous:
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Zion for this post:
  • saskak
"They're crap engines", that's why they were put on in Ford, Volvo, Mini, Suzuki, Mazda, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault /end sarcasm
Also known as the Ford DLD-416 or DV6.
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules
(28-12-2022, 08:37 PM)ItsGreen Wrote:  They're alright as long as they're used, the ones that do low miles and get babied are the ones that give problems. I used to work for a firm with about 15 of them, most of them got loaded up and driven like they were stolen all over the country, they only ever needed routine servicing, tyres (lots of tyres) and accident damage. The one that spent it's life sat at the office and just got used locally was always in for repair.

Interesting observation, though the sample size is too small to draw a reliable conclusion - could be the office vehicle was a one-off dud. Or could be dpf problems. Or maybe the driver who used it the most did something weird.

However, someone I know who used to run a garage once said - when we were talking about head gaskets - that, in his experience, the gaskets deteriorated more rapidly on cars that were off the road or hardly used. He didn't suggest a reason why, though I'm guessing that corrosion might be more likely once fluids (oil, anti-freeze) aren't regularly flowing through and coating the systems.
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
Dad has a DV6B In his. It's been through the wars. 2 leaking injector spill rail seals, sump sealant untill recently valve covers brittle beyond all hells believe. Coolant manifold to the water pump Pi**ing coolant out till he lost heat through the vents. 96k still going strong yeah the DV6 is a tough old thing if it's looked after he's had no turbo problems (Not that the turbo does much on the 75hp dv6) and never fails to start unless the starter (done this year) or crank position sensor goes(had 2 of them) things go wrong yeah I admit but the DV6 DOHC and even SOHC are fantastic engines if looked after over all regarding the M59.