Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emissions MOT fail
Hi, I really hope someone can help me.

I have a 2015 1.6D berlingo van.  58k miles

It has just failed for the second time the MOT emissions test.  The guys at the centre think it’s because I drive too slowly.  They suggested a change of oil and filter.

So I have done this today plus added a system cleaner plus a particulate cleaner into the fuel tank.

I have been driving more aggressively with the gears in 1/2/3, trying to rev it much higher.

Tomorrow I will have a third test.  Is there anything else I should be doing?  

Will the EGR valve need cleaning out?  If so is this easy to do?
Take it for a quick vigerous drive just before the test might be good.
B9 (2016) 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Multispace XTR = Mine;   B9 (2013) Enterprise 1.6 HDi Van = Hers.
They only test for smoke at a diesel MOT, not for cO2, cO, or NOx. So if it failed for excessive smoke then it's unlikely to pass after a hard drive.

Has it had the DPF taken out or gutted by any chance? It's a simple visible smoke test at full RPM, nothing like a petrol MOT.

DPF equipped diesels should make no smoke at any RPM.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(19-01-2023, 05:02 PM)Marsaday Wrote:  Hi, I really hope someone can help me.

I have a 2015 1.6D berlingo van.  58k miles

It has just failed for the second time the MOT emissions test.  The guys at the centre think it’s because I drive too slowly.  They suggested a change of oil and filter.

So I have done this today plus added a system cleaner plus a particulate cleaner into the fuel tank.

I have been driving more aggressively with the gears in 1/2/3, trying to rev it much higher.

Tomorrow I will have a third test.  Is there anything else I should be doing?  

Will the EGR valve need cleaning out?  If so is this easy to do?

It shouldn't be failing the emissions test at 58K. I'm assuming it's not the Adblue version. Citroen generally recommend a low ash oil and I always use their recommended Total INEO low saps First 0W-30 (I do lots of stop start) or the Total ECS 5W-30. Use a Mahle filter which is Citroens preferred filter.
If you are doing short journeys and city driving forget the extended oil changes and do it every 10K or a year.

It would be worth checking if the fuel system is properly calibrated and not running rich too, are you getting 47-55mpg in mixed driving? Prior to the MOT it's worth going for a good 30-60 minute run on dual carriageway or motorway. The Berlingo sometimes takes a while to get hot enough to burn off the particles. Might be worth putting a measure of DPF cleaner in the tank as this helps raise the temperature of the exhaust gas and helps the burn off. Be aware that occasionally fuel cleaner and DPF cleaner can do things to the emissions figures as they are additives

Also the garage should be able to tell you what bit of the emission gasses are causing the problem and that might narrow it down.
They don't test emissions gases on a diesel. Only a visible smoke test. No matter what age it is. This is a DPF equipped vehicle so it should emit zero smoke.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Always worth checking the air cleaner when diagnosing diesel smoke issues.

Geoff

.pdf   IMG_20230120_0001.pdf (Size: 183.53 KB / Downloads: 11)

Have things changed ?
I had an MOT last week or so and smoke test was done.
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo 
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
Search for Italian Tune Up and hopefully @saskak will also reply.

It does seem odd to fail the emissions on a diesel if you have a DPF but a bit of hard driving won't hurt. Beyond that, are there any fault codes?
(20-01-2023, 11:08 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Search for Italian Tune Up and hopefully @saskak will also reply.

It does seem odd to fail the emissions on a diesel if you have a DPF but a bit of hard driving won't hurt. Beyond that, are there any fault codes?

Do a proper Italian Tune Up. Just driving a bit vigorously 1,2,3rd gears is not enough. You need quite a bit of rpm, depending on your engine 5-5,500rpm to blow everything up and potentially clean some of the carbon built around various elements. My original berlingoforum thread for this: https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-18853.html
 or is you want a more visual guide in my M59 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCxoS6MODU

It is also worth checking the absorption coefficients from the MOT station. I have had mine mixed up a few times. They for example apply a much stringent coefficients than needed.
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules
Can you post the results of your failed tests here? As Saskak says there's a chance that they are using the wrong test.

If you decide for the Italian Tune Up, maybe you can ask the MOT garage to do just the emissions test first, then pay for just that 5 min of work if it fails?