Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Alternator Belt Length.
My alternator belt has started shredding apart and since seeing it this morning it seems to have got worse over the day!
Been looking to buy a new one as it seems simple enough to do myself but I'm struggling to find the correct length as there's quite range from 795mm to 1005mm available.

Its a 2016 B9 XTR multispace with AirCon and Stop/Start.

Looking at the descriptions, the AirCon and S/S make it one of the larger sizes but the question im stuck on is does the S/S work via the starter?
If not then its 1005mm, if so then its looking like a 96?mm size.
16 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
I'm not sure I follow the question, "does the S/S work via the starter" - yes of course it does, but did you mean via the alternator??

Stop start vehicles have a big capacity battery and a big capacity alternator though I can't see what difference it would make to the aux belt. Aircon, yes that would change it.

Why not wind a length of twine round the belt path, mark where the string crosses itself with a sharpie and that's the length you want.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-02-2023, 09:07 AM)Zion Wrote:  I'm not sure I follow the question, "does the S/S work via the starter" - yes of course it does, but did you mean via the alternator??

Stop start vehicles have a big capacity battery and a big capacity alternator though I can't see what difference it would make to the aux belt. Aircon, yes that would change it.

Why not wind a length of twine round the belt path, mark where the string crosses itself with a sharpie and that's the length you want.

The size options available were 1005mm for S/S via alternator or 963mm with S/S via starter
Would the alternator not be bigger if its also doing S/S function as well?

I ended up doing something with string last night and it would seem like its the longer length, I'll find out later today if that's correct.

No Aircon drops the sizes down into the sub 800mm lengths.
The aux belt doesn't go near the starter and so stop start would have zero impact on the belt size.

The starter motor is not belt driven. The alternator cannot start the engine. That info makes no sense at all. The alternator is a higher output on a start stop car but the pulley could be the same size regardless of the actual output or size of the alternator itself.

Not sure. Maybe the pulley is slightly bigger on the SS version but the way the question was framed made no sense, sorry, it was confusing.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
maybe it has StARS (Stop-start Alternator Reversible System)
Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6 BlueHDI 100, year 2017
If you like gaming visit GameForest
What is Stars? And where did you hear about that?
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-02-2023, 07:58 PM)Zion Wrote:  What is Stars? And where did you hear about that?

Start/stop | Peugeot Forums

Basic Understanding of StARS (Stop-start Alternator Reversible System) - Professional Motor Mechanic (pmmonline.co.uk)
Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6 BlueHDI 100, year 2017
If you like gaming visit GameForest
(25-02-2023, 08:00 PM)deejay_xb Wrote:  
(25-02-2023, 07:58 PM)Zion Wrote:  What is Stars? And where did you hear about that?

Start/stop | Peugeot Forums

Basic Understanding of StARS (Stop-start Alternator Reversible System) - Professional Motor Mechanic (pmmonline.co.uk)

I doubt this system is fitted to a 2016 B9. In 12 years on here, I have never heard of this.

e-HDi has the combined alternator/starter, but BlueHDi does not, according to the link you posted.

I've never heard of a B9 e-HDi.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-02-2023, 07:16 PM)Zion Wrote:  The aux belt doesn't go near the starter and so stop start would have zero impact on the belt size.

The starter motor is not belt driven. The alternator cannot start the engine. That info makes no sense at all. The alternator is a higher output on a start stop car but the pulley could be the same size regardless of the actual output or size of the alternator itself.

Not sure. Maybe the pulley is slightly bigger on the SS version but the way the question was framed made no sense, sorry, it was confusing.

Just going off what the parts website tells me, hence why I'm on here looking for answers as it don't make much sense to me either! Thought it would be a fairly simple purchase at first given how many B9 Berlingos there are on the roads.

The longer belt is listed as:

1005mm, Ribs 6, Stop-Start System: Engine Start procedure through alternator

The slightly shorter size is listed as:

962mm, Ribs 6, for vehicles with AC, For Vehicles with S/S function, For vehicles without S/S function. Stop-Star system: Engine start procedure through starter

I've bought both but still have yet to fit either as it turns out the tensioner is certified FUBAR which appears to be the main issue for the belt failing. Looks like the original belt on it but what's left is going to need cutting off as its still on there tight with the tensioner removed completely.
Doesn't the parts website give the option of inputting your reg number so that it can supply the correct part?
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo