Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 1.6hdi starts but won’t run
Nearly a month ago I started my Berlingo and it ran for a few seconds and then stopped. I flattened the battery trying and it pretty much kept doing the same thing.It doesn’t respond to throttle. Mmy little diagnostic tester is giving fault code 1351 glow plug relay or glow plugs. I took a look at the position of the relay ( back of the engine) and gave up and called in a mechanic, who came highly recommend. He doesn’t think it’s either. He replaced the EGR valve which did nothing.He’s now had it for 2 weeks .
Apparently he’s got it to start but can’t get it over 2000 RPM and it’s blowing black smoke . He’s stumped and I’m getting very frustrated. 
Prior to this it had no starting or running problems at all. HELP PLEASE !
Welcome

Do you or your mechanic have an OBD reader that can connect to a phone via bluetooth to show real-time info like the turbo boost on an app like Torque? Either that or access to Lexia or Diagbox software to do the same kind of thing.
Is your 1.6 a 90 or 110 BHP engine?
Thank you for this. I know he has a fancy bit of kit but I'm not sure what is. I will ask him as to HP I'm honestly not I will check.
(11-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Ian Walton Wrote:  Thank you for this. I know he has a fancy bit of kit but I'm not sure what is. I will ask him as to HP I'm honestly not I will check.

Chances are that its a 90BHP engine, but any info you can give may be of help. The BHP of the engine could be important as there are different turbos fitted according to the BHP.
The glow plug relay is mounted down behind the passenger headlight. But the glow plugs can't cause this behaviour. They're only used in extreme cold. An HDi does not actually need them to start.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(11-03-2023, 07:30 PM)Zion Wrote:  The glow plug relay is mounted down behind the passenger headlight. But the glow plugs can't cause this behaviour. They're only used in extreme cold. An HDi does not actually need them to start.

Thanks Zen, on this 07 model the relay is definitely on the back of the engine, I found it by tracking the wiring from the glow plugs ?
Are you sure the relay is there, because the wiring does go behind the engine but that's to join the main harness. I've had the same year and model myself and the relay is definitely behind the passenger headlight in a little cavity.

Anyway the glow plugs will not cause it to fail to start or to cut out, it has to be fuel supply, fuel.pressure or an electrical issue like the fuel cutoff solenoid. High pressure direct injection engines (HDi) do not even need glow plugs.

I posted a limp mode diagnostic list in the how-to section, it will pretty much still be relevant to the M59. It will show which faults cause which RPM limit to be applied and go from there. These are internal Citroen tech documents so the info is correct and should be helpful. 

There are two limp levels, 1200 and 3000 RPM. Not 2000. Give these documents to your mechanic or start testing yourself. Things like cam to crank sync will cause the engine to shut down immediately. Electronic throttle pedal coherence. High pressure fuel rail sensor etc. Never ever glow plugs. Start from section 7.2 in the limp mode document for guidance on what causes which behaviour.

Engine stops or stalls 
https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20799.html

HDi Limp mode diagnosis
https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20797.html
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
I'll second what Zion has said about it not being glow plugs. If a vehicle needs glow plugs, the greatest need occurs upon starting, when the engine is coldest, so if the vehicle starts, you've already got past what would be the hardest part if the plugs were faulty.  On my old M49 Berlingo - which does need glow plugs - I've had two instances of glow plug failure: the first time, the vehicle wouldn't start at all and I had to call out the AA; the second time, in slightly warmer conditions, it started OK, but then ran a bit under par for a mile or so, producing lots of white exhaust smoke, then ran normally once it had warmed up enough.

Hasn't your mechanic said what else he's tried apart from the EGR, and what he did to stop it cutting out after a few seconds?
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
Didn't some peugeots have a RFID aerial near the ignition barrel to read the immobiliser tag in the key?
Some had problems with them?
198,500 miles,  (Resurrected at 186,000)
All vehicles have a loop antenna at the ignition barrel, probably built in now (used to be a visible loop of pink wire) to read the key.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van