Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo Multispace for £500.....now the fun part!
Hi and thanks for the add.
I was determined to find a vehicle with some mot for £500 and succeeded in finding a Berlingo Multispace 'Desire' 2007 with 112k and 3 months mot.
Now to sort the problems, with your help I hope.
Firstly, I pulled the dipstick out, but it was just the end cap.....no dipstick lol.
Secondly, the heater ain't heating. It's blowing  a gale of cold air on all speed settings, but no heat.
I have topped up the expansion tank, which incidentally appears to have had oil poured into it at some point, power steering oil I guess due to the proximity of that tank. Still no heat, so a full flush will be the next step.
Thirdly, abs light on, so I need to sort that asap.
Fourth and hopefully last, a bit of clunking from the front end, which I hope is just a drop link.
The engine sounds sweet and it goes where you point it and stops when you ask it.
It's a belting motor, with more shelves, storage bins and places to park a brew that I have ever seen.
Quote:I have topped up the expansion tank, which incidentally appears to have had oil poured into it at some point,

If the previous owners were that stupid, then lucky you! Rolleyes

However, blown head gasket would be high on the likely list too. Do the hoses pump up rock hard within a minute of a cold start?

IF it's the hdi diesel, a cracked oil cooler will also stuff oil into the coolant and is a lot easier to sort.

A few scoops of washing machine powder and several changes of coolant are ahead of you to get the gick out.
200,500 miles,  (Resurrected at 186,000)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to smutts for this post:
  • Jamesey
Sounds like my kind of truck! You'd spend that hiring one for a month, so what's the worst that could happen? Do a sniffer test and re-asses the situation for the oil, water, no heater kind of thing.

Stick a magnetic pickup tool down the dipstick tube, it's probably in there somewhere. Could be worse, I went to dip the oil on my caddy and ripped half the tube off with the dipstick... that's what you get for doing maintenance.

ABS light, you've got 3 months to sort that one - still stops doesn't it?

The best thing to do about the clunk is wait til it stops clunking, pull over, walk back up the road and see what it was.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ItsGreen for this post:
  • Jamesey
Quote:Sounds like my kind of truck!

Unfortunately it sounds like the previous owners too!  Wink
  • Jamesey
If it's moving, it's earning.Big Grin
Wish I could say that about mine, a few days to go before I will be declaring it fixed.

Hope I will get some photos of the burst oil pump.

How do you post your own images to the forum?
I thought the days of Photof*ckit  Dodgy were well gone?
  • Jamesey
Loved my 2007 Desire - great spec interior, the children (as they were then) loved all the 12v charging sockets and the underfloor storage bins
2020  1.5 Blue HDi 130 Berlingo XTR
2009  1.5 Diesel Peugeot Partner
2007  1.5 Diesel Berlingo Desire
2003  Petrol Berlingo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Desdinova for this post:
  • Jamesey
(13-03-2023, 08:43 PM)Jamesey Wrote:  Secondly, the heater ain't heating. It's blowing  a gale of cold air on all speed settings, but no heat.

Heater matrix might be blocked or disconnected (if it was leaking) - inspect the hoses going into the bulkhead, look if they've been clamped, see how hot they get (or not).
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to notsofast for this post:
  • Jamesey
(13-03-2023, 10:10 PM)smutts Wrote:  . . . How do you post your own images to the forum?

Put them on as attachments, you just choose the image you want off your own computer and upload it, the advantage of an attachment is that the image always stays on the thread. 

If the image in a thread is hosted on an independent site and that site goes pop the image will go off the thread and you are just left with that annoying "No image box" like you see all of the time on forums. 

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(13-03-2023, 11:35 PM)jj9 Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 10:10 PM)smutts Wrote:  . . . How do you post your own images to the forum?

Put them on as attachments, you just choose the image you want off your own computer and upload it, the advantage of an attachment is that the image always stays on the thread. 

If the image in a thread is hosted on an independent site and that site goes pop the image will go off the thread and you are just left with that annoying "No image box" like you see all of the time on forums. 

As JJ says, use the New Reply button and there's an upload attachment section at the bottom. Not possible with the  quick reply box.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van