Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
53 plate Berlingo won't start
I have a 53 plate Berlingo I parked up and now it will not start at all you can hear a clicking from the engine bay but nothing else I tried to run a voltage test on the starter motor feed but I didn't get a reading.
Any ideas please
Thanks
The battery is likely dead. I would try that first and check all terminals are tight.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-05-2023, 06:05 AM)Zion Wrote:  The battery is likely dead. I would try that first and check all terminals are tight.

No the battery is a new one and has had a jump pack on it
After that it's cables, terminals, earths and finally the starter itself.

However also worth noting the ignition switch does not operate the starter on these, it only signals the BSI and then engages the starter via the engine ECU and control relays. There is scant info available for the relays anywhere however.

Clicking usually means low battery voltage at the control unit, followed by the central display blanking out and the wipers and lights sometimes come on by themselves.

Otherwise your onto an auto electrician. I've posted the schematic below. The other document is used to identify the items in the schematic. It's a wee bit simpler on the M59, I forgot that. 1010 is the starter and PSF1 is th engine fusebox. 

My money is on a bad cable or end connection. If not that then it's likely the starter itself if the battery is good and voltage at the battery holds up. No less than 11v during crank attempt

Attached Files
.pdf   M59 DV6 Starting System.pdf (Size: 606.31 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   Citroen Components.PDF (Size: 153.2 KB / Downloads: 5)
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Trace the big cable that goes from the battery to the alternator and starter. They're prone to fraying off at a connector.
I no longer have either of my 53 plate 1.6es but the way the first one died and was got rid might be interesting. I don't mean to appear to disagree with Zion - there are most likely different variants with different details even within the same models.

The ignition switch (in mine) had (has) four contacts. Two of these are commoned together to provide the power needed by the starter motor - but even that is not enough, and these 2 contacts eventually burn out.

Mine did, I was actually on a slip road off the M25 in mornin g rush hour; the car stalled as I puled up to the roundabout, and refused to start again. I had to push it across 2 lanes of traffic onto the verge! (That was a bad move too - if I'd left it in the live lane and acted all wimpy, the RAC would have taken a lot less than the 3 hours it did take them to get to me!)

Although I could have fixed the problem with time, I didn't have the time and bought another 53 instead. It eventually died for other reasons.

So if this is your problem, the clicking is the starter motor trying to kick in but not having enough oomph to do so. That could suggest that one of the two relevant contacts in the ign switch has failed but the other may be okay... hopefully...

Apart from fitting a starting handle (how cool would that be!), the usual bodge I remember learning about back then, and even bought the parts for but never used them, is to insert four 12v high power relays between the switch and its four output cables. Of course, this is best done before the ign switch fails, but might still work if only one of the two ign contacts has gone.

Research what power the starter motor needs and make sure you overspecify the relays by a long way.
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+
No problem from me mate, I appreciate your input on the M59 issues. I forget how different they are in some respects to the B9 and mine all went like clockwork except for the smoky startups on my second M59 HDi.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • Gryffindor