Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 3.09 Average
Using Biodiesel
Hello guys,

I assume im not the only one who has used the cheaper fuel alternative that is Biodiesel.

I used it on my previous van when i was near a station that delivered it, so i was mixing diesel with it's bio counterpart quite often. I found that the 1.9D engine i had on the Berlingo didn't really like the concoction.

Anyone else have the same experiences? I haven't mixed them since that van, nor do i think i will.
The DW8 should run OK on a mix of about 40 "Bio" and 60 "Dino" without too many issues ( assuming it has the Bosch system. The DW10 on the other hand doesnt like it mainly due to the lift pump not being able to handle the viscosity.
That said I used to run my DW10 (siemens system) on a mix of about 30% "Bio" without any issues at all.
I think some of the issues with the DW8 are down to the lack of turbo - the 68 BHP engine (a derivative of the XU9D Normally asthmatic engine) is already down on power compared with turbo powered and intercooled brethren (90BHP minimum), adding Bio diesel lowers the power output again notably.
Whether this is due to the calorific power of bio diesel in comparison with dino diesel I dont know, but every PSA XUD I have run on Bio suffers loss of power (though they all ran fine).
(02-10-2010, 07:05 PM)Father Ted Wrote:  The DW8 should run OK on a mix of about 40 "Bio" and 60 "Dino" without too many issues ( assuming it has the Bosch system. The DW10 on the other hand doesnt like it mainly due to the lift pump not being able to handle the viscosity.
That said I used to run my DW10 (siemens system) on a mix of about 30% "Bio" without any issues at all.
I think some of the issues with the DW8 are down to the lack of turbo - the 68 BHP engine (a derivative of the XU9D Normally asthmatic engine) is already down on power compared with turbo powered and intercooled brethren (90BHP minimum), adding Bio diesel lowers the power output again notably.
Whether this is due to the calorific power of bio diesel in comparison with dino diesel I dont know, but every PSA XUD I have run on Bio suffers loss of power (though they all ran fine).
Hi,I had ,before my Berlingo,a C15 1.8d & it loved 30% veg oil in winter & 50/60% in summer.It idled much smoother,3MPG better & ran better.Winter starting was fine on 30% but lumpy & smokey start on higher mix.It did 80,000 m with me on that concoction & flew through the emissions test.They asked what I had done to it & road tested it thinking it would be gutless on those figures.At that time it was "not proper" to use veggie oil as it upset HM tax people.Now it's legal to brew 2,500 ltrs a year I'm wary of using in my HDI.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Never used Bio Diesel.
Used to use Veg Oil in my XUD - as much as 90% in summer with no issues.
Best advice I've found is not to use Veg Oil in the HDi and I believe that PSA have their own guidance on Bio Diesel, but as it's not easy to come by down here, I've not found out what it is.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • ron
Unless 'home brewing' i woulddnt touch it. I have used veg oil mixes in the past in old motors but ask yourself if you can afford to replace the inj pump when it fails. We are seeing many issues where bio causes problems. The quality is questionable between outlets and problems range from lubricity / viscosity issues and bio growth issues. Microbiological growth actually eats metal parts and turns fuel to jellified snot. There are additives to address these issues but they all cost.
Our major engine supplier states that if bio content in the diesel is above 5% then service intervals should be halved. Bit of bummer considering fuel companies i.e. The big ones are all already adding up to 7% bio. If i had a £1000 motor and £1000 to replace it if i needed to then i would consider using it but not otherwise, it still an expensive way to save money if it all goes wrong. Use at your peril!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to divingscubaboy for this post:
  • ron