Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did this fall off my car?
Yesterday I retrieved my full-sized (steel emergency) spare wheel from the cradle underneath the car.  Today, within about a hundred metres of setting off I heard an ominous bang from the rear of the vehicle.  I stopped, got out and looked around and underneath but could see nothing amiss. The empty cradle is intact. The only thing in sight was a black plastic THING in the road.  

Is this THING something that has fallen off my car? I.e. was the noise this dropping off, bouncing up and hitting the underside?
Or is it a piece of crap that was lying in the road which I somehow didn't see (itself weird because it's quite large and this was midday, no rain) and ran over?
Or maybe this junk is nothing to do with anything and the "bang" was the spare wheel cradle somehow adjusting itself?

Does anyone recognize this object? There are no markings. It's made of plastic, no metal.

Struggling to get the photo attachments to attach.  No matter how many times I try they won't.  Urrgghh!!
Is there some secret to getting the attachments to work here? I click "Choose file", select the image, OK, click "add attachment", it shows the selected file....yet nothing appears.  This renders the post meaningles

OK so I had to shrink the photos to an absolutely absurd degree before they attached. What a pain in the spheroids. But they are visible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

On at least one of my Berlingos (can't say for sure which one without going out and looking, but I think it's my M49) there's always been a chunk of shaped black plastic inside the concave face of the spare wheel.  I've never known its purpose but have assumed it helps prevent rattling or something. Anyway, could the lump that you found be a similar thing for the K9, that maybe had been pressed up into the vehicle underbody by the tyre within its cradle, and when you lowered the cradle the thing stayed stuck up into the underbody, but then fell off as you drove off?
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to notsofast for this post:
  • AWED
This is one of I think a pair (maybe three, can't remember for sure). It is a spacer attached underneath the car where the spare wheel is so that when you tighten up the spare wheel using the bolt, the head of which is just inside the boot floor, the spare wheel presses up against it making a tight connection to prevent rattling or jumping about.
Yes, it's yours.
Now a 2019 K9 1.2 petrol.
Before a 2010 B9 1.6 HDi diesel.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mark604 for this post:
  • AWED
I was notsofast as notsofast beat me to it.
It took me a minute to find this thread -

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-236...#pid151151
  • AWED
Sad 
Thanks, everyone!  That's really useful! Greatly appreciated.

I wonder if there is a second one lying on the road somewhere? The spare was fitted by the garage so perhaps they used only one, the one that correct for the size wheel they fitted. That's consistent with what I read in the link provided:

Quote:"You only need one of the pairs of shims"

Amazed it had remained stuck to the underside and didn't just fall out when the wheel was removed. Just held on with dirt I guess.

Oddly there is no mention of these shims in the manual: not a warning to look out for them when removing the spare or to fit them back in when replacing it. I'm at a loss as to know what to do with the thing when I do put the spare back. I've looked at that PDF document but it doesn't make it clear. That implies the shim/s are fixed to the underside of the car rather than sitting in the well of the wheel. Think I will leave this for the garage to sort out, it'll go in for a service in March, I can wait that long.
I believe they don't just sit in the wheel well and are clipped to the underside. I have a K9 and don't have them but I'll stand corrected on this that they are to rest on the tyre when you lift it up to secure it.
The reason my car doesn't is it didn't come with a spare wheel holder, just the tyre gunk and compressor. I bought and fitted the carrier myself but didn't know there were there spacers/shims.
  • AWED
When I get time I'll have a look at my K9 wheel carrier and see if I can see the shims.  I can't remember noticing them when I last removed the spare wheel, which means either they're not there or they are fixed to the vehicle underside.

On my M49 the shim (if that's what it is) is just loose within the wheel, and it comes down with the wheel when you lower the carrier - though of course it's possible that it's not supposed to be like that, and maybe it was fixed originally (or maybe it's not a shim and is just a random piece of black rubber/plastic.....?)
Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to notsofast for this post:
  • AWED
Well that's ONE question answered: despite having looked under the car yesterday (when I failed to see any more of these blocky shims) within 200 metres of my second car journey since removing the spare another BANG and another of the things was lying in the road.  I managed to retrieve it so now I have the pair.  Where exactly they were stuck to the underside is beyond me. Will there even be a third? It's like the goose that lays the golden eggs: the Berlingo that sh*ts shims.
Find a Berlingo in a car park and slip underneath it. I'm sure nobody will think you're nicking something.