Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front seat removal ..legal ?
As I live alone and use my van as a micro stealth camper (sometimes)  , removing the totally  unused passenger seat
gives me far  more room. I've recently tried this for a small trial and have now returned the seat. 
I would like to remove it more permanently but am concerned over insurance ie modifications . 
I think I'm on very dodgy red tape ground here. I've solved airbag warning light with a correct jumper so the system is working as it should if seat is removed. 
Does anyone have any definitive conclusions ? I know how insurance companies are ultimate sticklers on even the most trivial unimportant facts and I suppose they would go nuclear  with this ?
(30-04-2024, 10:23 PM)Bluebottle Wrote:  As I live alone and use my van as a micro stealth camper (sometimes)  , removing the totally  unused passenger seat
gives me far  more room. I've recently tried this for a small trial and have now returned the seat. 
I would like to remove it more permanently but am concerned over insurance ie modifications . 
I think I'm on very dodgy red tape ground here. I've solved airbag warning light with a correct jumper so the system is working as it should if seat is removed. 
Does anyone have any definitive conclusions ? I know how insurance companies are ultimate sticklers on even the most trivial unimportant facts and I suppose they would go nuclear  with this ?

Surely, the easiest thing to do in this case is to contact your insurance company and ask if there are any insurance implications if you were to remove the seat so you could use it as a camper? Note I say 'if you were to' best not to say you've already done it in the past   Wink  I wouldn't have thought there would be any major problems as it is normally only enhancements that either make a vehicle more powerful or add expensive options that concern insurance companies. If you do get the OK, make sure you get it in writing from them rather than just a verbal 'yes that's fine' over the phone.

Current:
2008 B9 1.6Hdi Multispace XTR

Previous:
2007 M59 1.6Hdi Multspace Desire
2002 Xsara Picasso 2.0Hdi
1996 ZX 1.9TD Estate
Royal Mail vans on country rounds had the passenger seat removed at new, it allowed a box with mail to sit beside the driver for easy access.  That was before seat belt sensors etc. Don't know if it is still done

There was never any questions about legality
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
Thanks for replies. The reason I'm posting rather than just ringing my insurance company up is what can I say when they say "why do you need to remove the front seat " ?

I don't have any answer , if I tell the truth and say I use the van for camping they will say OH NO ...it's not designed for that ! Your policy is scrapped.
Maybe they would say ...."oh okay , that's all fine ". I very much doubt that.
Find an insurer who would agree ...I bet my premium would treble.

So the seat takes valuable space I really need when I never use the seat at all.
It has no function and no purpose but because of red tape it must be in place.
I'm afraid I'm at that age where risking it spoils everything.
The info about post office vans is interesting ...but I suppose they have a get out clause with their insurers.

I just imagine being pulled over by the police and "why have you not got a passenger seat" question.
I have a WAV car which has only 3 seats , the other was removed for room for the wheelchair . Its a standard thing . No bother with insurance and no MOT hassle.

I may be wrong but I don't think there is any legislation which says you have to have a passenger seat , tractors don't , some Morgans don't either.

Obviously if carrying a passenger then you must provide a seat and seat belt for them
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2005 2.l green Berlingo
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
My Berlingo camper, had no rear seats for MOT never failed nothing was ever said, no idea on insurance, but if no passenger less for them to pay, only thing is, security of things on the floor, incase of accident it hurting you.
Or maybe fit one of the seats that drops flat, from a different model.
Your Reach is further than your Grasp
Oh ! Well that's positive ! Thanks so much for your replies and help. Apart from red tape and possible safety aspect (solved with diagnosis resistor plug) there's no reason for me to have this phantom passenger seat .
The wheelchair has given me an idea to tell the insurers ...I'll look into that although maybe not actually wheelchair access.

With the replies I've had here I think I will go ahead with more permanent removal of seat providing there's no block from insurance co. It really does make a big difference with space and access to the back cabin .
Many thanks for everyone's help...much appreciated.