Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 petrol Multispace battery isdue.
Hello fellow Berlingians.
I have a 2005 1.6 petrol model. Like me  it's getting on a bit (147k miles) and is getting a bit kranky. Recently, the battery light has been coming on intermittently and the battery has been draining. Will charge up sometimes but not always. Also  the right indicator sometimes only clicks 4 times  then stops. Not sure if it's related. I suspect the alternator, but hope someone is going to tell me it's something else that is a quick and easy fix. Thanks all. Tony.
(15-05-2024, 06:31 AM)Tbone Wrote:  Hello fellow Berlingians.
I have a 2005 1.6 petrol model. Like me  it's getting on a bit (147k miles) and is getting a bit kranky. Recently, the battery light has been coming on intermittently and the battery has been draining. Will charge up sometimes but not always. Also  the right indicator sometimes only clicks 4 times  then stops. Not sure if it's related. I suspect the alternator, but hope someone is going to tell me it's something else that is a quick and easy fix. Thanks all. Tony.

How old is the actual battery? I find that batteries are not great quality nowadays and if you only do lots of short journeys, it would never get fully recharged, which causes the plates/cells to deteriorate at a faster pace.

Don't think the r/h indicator would be connected to your low battery issues, that is most likely to be an oxidised contact on the indicator switch unit itself which on most occasions is remedied by spraying electrical contact cleaner into the switch unit. Note only use contact cleaner do NOT use WD40 type sprays as these can cause problems on electrical switchgear.

Current:
Not a Citroen  Cry

Previous:
2008 B9 1.6Hdi Multispace XTR
2007 M59 1.6Hdi Multspace Desire
2002 Xsara Picasso 2.0Hdi
1996 ZX 1.9TD Estate
About the mileage for the alternator brushes to have worn out.

Best bet to search for a second hand alternator from a lower mileage pug or citroen with the same engine.
I don't usually bother with "rebuilt" as in my experience they have all been gash, crap parts, out of balance etc
Once you are up and running, see if you can take your old alternator apart (if it spins smoothly) & look at the slip rings.
If there isn't a circular Cheddar Gorge in the copper, usually a new regulator will fix things for £20.

Then you will have a spare for when the red light gremlins reappear.
200,500 miles,  (Resurrected at 186,000)
Wot he says ^^^
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart