Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidelights.
I recently had the o/s sidelight blow, it was easy to replace, however, now it seems to be intermittent like there's a connection issue. There doesn't seem to be any play in the wires, and it's sat tight in the holder, first time it had slid out slightly. Is it likely that it's just a bad fit between that bulb and the holder, or is it another form of connection issue? A bang on the wing always seems to reconnect it.
Corroded bulb holder?
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
(30-06-2024, 05:00 PM)evdama Wrote:  Corroded bulb holder?

I guess that's a possibility, however, it didn't do this before the previous one blew. I have another spare, so I could test that one I guess.
(01-07-2024, 07:10 AM)LukeC Wrote:  
(30-06-2024, 05:00 PM)evdama Wrote:  Corroded bulb holder?

I guess that's a possibility, however, it didn't do this before the previous one blew. I have another spare, so I could test that one I guess.

They are just the 'push in' type lamps with a couple of wire type contacts aren't they? Probably either a dodgy lamp or as @evdama states a corroded lamp holder. Maybe worth spraying the lamp holder with electrical contact cleaner before inserting the replacement?

Current:
Not a Citroen  Cry

Previous:
2008 B9 1.6Hdi Multispace XTR
2007 M59 1.6Hdi Multspace Desire
2002 Xsara Picasso 2.0Hdi
1996 ZX 1.9TD Estate
Yes, they're just a push in, small filament bulb, with the contacts on the side. I haven't got any contact cleaner, is there anything else that will do it?
(01-07-2024, 03:05 PM)LukeC Wrote:  Yes, they're just a push in, small filament bulb, with the contacts on the side. I haven't got any contact cleaner, is there anything else that will do it?

IPA [that's Isopropyl alcohol, not India Pale Ale  Wink]

The reason being that both electrical contact cleaner and IPA do not leave any residue that other cleaners and solvents do and that can cause even more problems than you are trying to cure on electrical and electronic circuits.

Current:
Not a Citroen  Cry

Previous:
2008 B9 1.6Hdi Multispace XTR
2007 M59 1.6Hdi Multspace Desire
2002 Xsara Picasso 2.0Hdi
1996 ZX 1.9TD Estate
(02-07-2024, 01:21 AM)Multispacer Wrote:  
(01-07-2024, 03:05 PM)LukeC Wrote:  Yes, they're just a push in, small filament bulb, with the contacts on the side. I haven't got any contact cleaner, is there anything else that will do it?

IPA [that's Isopropyl alcohol, not India Pale Ale  Wink]

The reason being that both electrical contact cleaner and IPA do not leave any residue that other cleaners and solvents do and that can cause even more problems than you are trying to cure on electrical and electronic circuits.

I acquired a bottle of isopropyl alcohol a while ago (sticker residue), if switching the bulbs around doesn't work, then, I'll have a go with that. Of course, before switching completely, I'll have a look at the contacts.
It's £6 for a replacement off Ebay. Just change it
Why pay for something if there's free options still available?
It's a judgement call, but sometimes it's a better answer to replace a crusty old part rather than trying to "fix" it. This is especially true if not DIY, but time always has a value.

eg,

Recently I replaced the alternator. I could have bought a new pulley, brushes, slip rings and bearings, replaced them all, and refitted it. About £50-60 plus my time, and it would still be a 12-year-old alternator.

I opted instead to spend £200ish on a brand-new unit. My reasoning was that the new part comes with a 3-year warranty, and the majority of the pain was the work to remove and refit - no way did I want to do that job again.

The rebuild would have taken most of a day to do, on top of the replacement itself. It just didn't stack up.