Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.69 Average
I've b******d my radio. Aerial or wiring?
Afternoon all...
On the same day, I walloped the aerial on the car park roof, and later removed and replaced the heater control unit for diagnosis, which entailed taking out the radio. Before that the radio was working beautifully, with all my favourite stations programmed in, etc.. Since that day, there is almost no reception - I can just about get one or two stations, fuzzily. lots of hiss.
Details:
- After-market Pioneer DEH-1300R, probably amateur install (bits of tatty insulating tape).
- CD player works fine.
- Radio is installed so it can be used with engine and ignition off. I've had it on like that for
+/- an hour.
- If I ease the radio out when on, and pull off the aerial connector, it goes from hiss to
silence.

Would you recommend starting with a new aerial, or checking something on wiring, or am I getting into battery off/on, or that business of BSI with the window open?

Car: 2002 Mk1 Multispace 1.6i16v, ABS, Airco.

Wishing everyone a summer this year!
Richard

(By the way, I have since successfully replaced the heater control unit - long and fiddly job for clutsies like me. Will try and put together a how-to.)
(19-06-2012, 01:48 PM)CandR Wrote:  Afternoon all...
On the same day, I walloped the aerial on the car park roof, and later removed and replaced the heater control unit for diagnosis. Before that the radio was working beautifully, with all my favourite staions programmed in, etc.. Since that day, there is almost no reception - I can just about get one or two stations, fuzzily. lots of hiss.
Details:
- After-market Pioneer DEH-1300R, probably amateur install (bits of tatty insulating tape).
- CD player works fine.
- Radio is installed so it can be used with engine and ignition off. I've had it on like that for
+/- an hour.
- If I ease the radio out when on, and pull off the aerial connector, it goes from hiss to
silence.

Would you recommend starting with a new aerial, or checking something on wiring, or am I getting into battery off/on, or that business of BSI with the window open?

Car: 2002 Mk1 Multispace 1.6i16v, ABS, Airco.

Wishing everyone a summer this year!
Richard

(By the way, I have since successfully replaced the heater control unit - long and fiddly job for clutsies like me. Will try and put together a how-to.)

Once upon a time the aerial earthed the radios, might still be the case if so thats why the radio goes silent. the roof banging may have knackered the signal wire in the aerial. I'd try a new or temp aerial.
Confusedcratch:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • CandR
(19-06-2012, 08:03 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Once upon a time the aerial earthed the radios, might still be the case if so thats why the radio goes silent. the roof banging may have knackered the signal wire in the aerial. I'd try a new or temp aerial.
Confusedcratch:

That sounds very plausible indeed!Smile Many thanks for that. I'll try that first!
Normally the aerials can take a good beating as they are quite flexible, did you lose signal straight after hitting the aerial also are you getting any reception at all from any radio station
Thanks. The aerial is a bit loose on the roof now. Yes, I am getting faint fuzzy signals from a couple.
Could possibly have damaged the connection then on roof mount, if you have access to another aerial that will fit berlingo try unscrewing yours and putting another in its place
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BerlingoHDI for this post:
  • CandR
(20-06-2012, 05:37 AM)BerlingoHDI Wrote:  Could possibly have damaged the connection then on roof mount, if you have access to another aerial that will fit berlingo try unscrewing yours and putting another in its place

Thanks - consensus so far on starting with aerial. So I'll start by removing that little panel with the lights on it, have a good look, and try an aerial or two from my favourite scrappy. By the way, re your question about exactly when it went wrong - I didn't try it till the next day. Hence my doubt about whether it was the aerial or whether I'd screwed something up removing the radio for the heater control job!
Solved. Many thanks for the advice. The aerial mounting was a touch loose and corroded. Sorted that and it made no difference - oh dear!
Pulled out the radio to look at things behind it, and found the aerial cable to radio plug was wobbly. Came apart in my hands when I took a closer look. Bad corrosion. Bought and soldered on new one - JOB DONE! :woop: Ridiculously huge disproportionate satisfaction!
Now off to scrappy to find replacement for bit of plastic I bust above interior light panel!
Thanks again to all Confusedalut:
Richard
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CandR for this post:
  • Rustscrat