Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Sloe Gin
I am going to have a go at this for the first time. I managed yesterday to collect enough sloes for a couple of bottles and I am now looking at recipes and tips. I can't believe that something with three ingredients could have so many variations and opinions!

Does anyone else make sloe gin/vodka or other home-brewed concoctions? [Image: drunk.gif]
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Done wine and beermaking and damson gin for many years. From memory you have to prick the damsons, put in an airtight jar or demijohn, add sugar and gin. Seal up and wait for 2 or 3 months then decant the liquid. Dont waste the sloes or damsons afterwards, strip and eat the fruit off the stones and sit there getting steadily piss*d....

If you can get a copy, Boots used to do a good book about homebrewing but of course they are no longer selling the stuff.

Still got 4 Cornelieous Kegs for beermaking but don't drink anymore.......
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
I made three bottles of sloe gin this year. 500g of sloes to 250g of caster sugar to one bottle of gin. Should be ready for Christmas.

I used to do a lot of wine making and a little beer but got out of the habit when we last moved house. I keep thinking that I'd like to start again but it's difficult finding the time amongst the other hobbies at the moment. Perhaps when one of the bikes has gone ......

A friend at work has a still and produces his own spirits. That doesn't really appeal to me, but an interesting concept though.
Somebody once asked me "How long does it last for???"

My answer "As long as you can keep your bloody hands off it"...

At one time back in the 80's my mum's house was like a brewery as I used to do beer in kegs and bottles and bulk fermentation of 5 gallons of wine at a time.

Beers were fine until I got the priming sugar a bit wrong, a bottle exploded and took several others out with it, pantry was a sorry state and my mum not happy with me.... such fond memories.

If you have not tried it, have a go at barley wine, that stuff really does blow y'r head apart and is nice mixed with a pint of bitter......
Have made plenty of sloe gin. If you have the patience you can prick the sloes, cut them with a knife, or freeze then thaw them - you just need to break the skin.
I usually use Kilner jars. Just add your mix of ingredients then give it all a gentle agitation every week for about 3 months. Then strain through muslin, bottle it, and leave it along as patience allows. I usually make 3 or 4 bottles at a time. A definite winter warmer after a cold spell outside!
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
In Prohibition days the good 'ol boys would run the liquor across the state line in tuned berlingo's.
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
Yeah cowboy, but nowadays we got so damn tight fisted we kept it all for ourselves....... Yee Haaa
...... Sloe Vodka .......... Hmmm a nice alternative...... I love this as well.......
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Tyrells (crisps) are or were making potato vodka - and experimenting with the possibility of doing potato based fuel
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van