Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Fuel Light Warning, How many miles?
Hi All,
Just received my new Mk3 Berlingo last week and was wondering how far does the red light on the fuel guage give me. My last Mk2 got to the stage where it started spluttering about the 1/4 full mark!! I only use the one place for fuel so sometimes it's good to know if I have enough to take me there without having to stop elsewhere.

Thanks in advance
P

PS, fantastic (not so) wee van. Rolls Royce to my old one, but if it does as well I'll be very happy!
It should say in the owners manual. I've never let it run out, and it's an orange light on the MK3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
Yep, manual is always a good idea! D'oh Confusedillyme:
When fuel light goes on approx. 8 litres left. Just have to figure out how many miles in 8 litres or hope the computer is accurate. Thanks Philip!Confusedalut:

P
8litres=about 1.75 gallons so I would fill up within 40-50miles once light is on.
Light came on tonight and estimated 31 miles left on the computer. I only did about 15 miles and stopped for my refill. I'm only averaging 36mpg though so some of you will probably get more than 31 miles when the light goes on.

One thing i did notice tho on the computer, when it said 31miles it didn't move for a while, then it justed dropped to 25 miles and again stayed there for a while too.

I filled up and estimating 465 miles.
I was curious about this in my last van (MK1) so one day I syphoned the remaining fuel out of it through the feed pipe after the light had come on - there was a whopping 2½gallon left, after that I was always confident in going a 100 miles after the warning light. I have not done the same test in my MK2 so I am filling up fairly quickly at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Noel Brig for this post:
  • addo
I can always get 50 miles safely after the light has come on
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • addo
I once did 70 miles after the light started to flicker (the last 20 or so was with a very tight sphincter).
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • Northman
I would question the accuracy /calibration of most sender units. Looking at the replies, each one is different with respect to the fuel levels remaining. I don't know what the manufacturers tolerance level is for accuracy +/- 2% or 5% even. I would be confident that if you lined up 10 Lingos with the same level sensors / instruments they would differ in their accuracy. Mind you, it's usual when the warning light comes on, your miles from a bloomin garage! I'm a coward, once the needle drops below the quarter full, I chuck a few litres in!!
Over the last three fills I have had, according to the computer, about 50 miles of fuel left. Each time I had about 10 litres left in the tank, or over 100 miles so there is a degree of leeway.