Thread Rating:
  • 34 Vote(s) - 2.62 Average
mud and snow tyres
has anyone used m & s tyres on the mk3 berlingo and did it help in winter/ snow. I live at 1000ft on side of welsh mountain and get stuck in for up to 4 weeks a year.I can see other traffic moving about below,,,,I just cant get down to it.
cheers
PeteExclamation
Hi, not used them meself but you do need to do some research on these tyres. For example you can get tyres like Michelin Alpin which can be used all yr or pure winter tyres like Vredestein Snowtrac. The Germans normally keep a seperate set of snow tyres on rims in their garages ready for use but it is a legal requirement for winter tyres in snow there for German reg vehicles.

I'm guessing your local Qwikfit or ATS won't be great mine of info on winter tyres. Look on the tyre manufacturers websites for info. Winter tyres have a snowflake/snowy mountain symbol on them.
Now don't quote me on this but: http://www.camskill.co.uk/

Apparently quite cheap, and used by many of my 'foruming friends'.

Many countries do have a winter tyre requirement, and i think its a sensible idea. I knew of places like Norway, Sweden, but i didnt know of Germany.
[/b]I already have them, sorry , from my vw camper...they were brill on that , but wondered how berlingo performs on the, I have them on my original steels so my alloys are kept out of salt for winter.
cheers
I found this site while doing some winter tyre homework (click on "Steel wheels with tyres" from the home page)winter tyres

They supply winter tyres already fitted to to a steel rim which would seem to save a lot of hassle. I am going to get a set for mine, as the fronts currently are some sort of hideous YingTongDieYung ditchfinders which would almost be funny if I didn't have to drive on public roads. The rears are not much better being the original concrete Michelin Energy.

2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

We use winter tires here in Switzerland. I have them mounted on steel rims for my Berli 3. I got Continental TS830's (205x65 R15) and winter tires do make a big difference - like getting up the icy hill to my house or not.. I bought the tires and rims separately as that was cheaper then buying them already mounted on rims (even including the small price for mounting them on the rims). Rims are 6.5jx15 with a hole diameter (Lochkreiss) of 108mm and an ET of 27. ET stands for Einpresstiefe and would be something like offset. In Switzerland if you get involved in an accident where ice/snow is involved and you don't have winter tires your bum is the grass and the police are the lawnmower.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

I got a set of Continental TS830's as well and have to say that they are amazing. The Berlingo has been unstoppable (in the right way!) over the last few days and has been just as good as the wife's XC90 on its "all season" tyres. I think that the relative light weight of the mk2 helps hugely and it is certainly less scary than going down a steep slope in a potential 2.5 tonne sledge.

[Image: IMG_0133.jpg]

This was the Berlingo this morning, the only 2wd car to get into (and out of) my local rail station. Shame there were no trains though!
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Nice one Chris, your piccy looks good with the sites snow falling.....
Nice pic Chris. I got up the hill to our house (at 1500 feet) last night on an icy road. The TS830's were flawless. With the ESP kicking in and out it was like driving on dry pavement.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

ho ho ho , christmas here at last , got my local garage to hammer Mcguard locking wheel nuts off and NOW got me mud and snow tyres on......ready for the next downfall now. At last.
Today on ice / snow vehical performed like a dream....who needs a 4 x 4
Pete