Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Airbag warning light

Hi all

My airbag warning light stays on permanent.

I have checked the wires under seats which are ok and also sent the ECU for resetting.
Light still on.

My next step is to change the bag unit but would like to know if there is anything else i can troubleshoot instead of paying out to much moneySad any help would be great as MOT is due.

2002/2008 Van 19D
You need to get a Lexia on it first; this will narrow down the fault area.
My airbag light shows up every time I move my seat. Did a bit of research & you have to disconnect the wires from under the seat, spray with an electrical cleaner wait a few seconds for the spray the dissipate then reconnect. Works like a charm on mine
Thanks for replies, gave wires a spray yesterday still the same outcome, had to sworn off road till i can crack this. Lexia idea is good but think ill ring around to get diagnosed as in two minds to sell. Will keep updated when diagnosed.
(19-08-2013, 07:34 AM)mitumatu Wrote:  Thanks for replies, gave wires a spray yesterday still the same outcome, had to sworn off road till i can crack this. Lexia idea is good but think ill ring around to get diagnosed as in two minds to sell. Will keep updated when diagnosed.

Get it on a Lexia. Join the Frenchcarforum, ask nicely, someone near you will have one and will scan it for you. Usually earthing issues on the wheel, or damaged ribbons on the comms 2000 unit. Mine has one of these, not sure which yet. Pretty sure it's earthing, don't really care, have told the airbag ECU that the wheel airbag isn't installed, so the light now goes off as it should. Obviously I'm going to get it sorted out anyway, but at the moment I'm too busy.
For sale: Berlingo with unknown electrical issues and MOT fail.

vs.

For sale: Berlingo, needs £X (as determined with Lexia) part replacing for MOT.

To me, it's a no brainer.
(21-08-2013, 01:17 AM)addo Wrote:  For sale: Berlingo with unknown electrical issues and MOT fail.

vs.

For sale: Berlingo, needs £X (as determined with Lexia) part replacing for MOT.

To me, it's a no brainer.

Where does one get a "Lexia" and can it be used on other cars ?
Lexia3 = Dedicated OBD II reader and SW for Berlingos. Usually comes packaged with the SW for Peugeots, too.

It's really a 'for authorized mechanics' package, but if you search The Bay of E, or google around a bit you can usually find a Chinese-made copy with pirated SW.
It does more than just read out fault codes, though.
Mine came from an eshop in england...

A couple of videos I made;
http://www.totallytrygve.com/berlingo/FILE0003.MOV
(.MOV video recorded with an action-cam. It's supposed to show the screen of my netBook running LEXIA3 as I do a couple of starts.)

http://www.totallytrygve.com/berlingo/FILE0004.MOV
(Also LEXIA3, this time showing info about injectors during a start)

Not only can you see how the engine performs, but there are test functions, too.
One function fires the injectors (you can actually hear the injectors click when the engine isn't running), start and stop fuel pump, all kinds of stuff. Pretty neat if it wasn't for the horrid interface.
I recommend NOT to install it on your main computer as it adds lots of background stuff that throws up error after error on startup.
I'd be lost without mine; it's paid for itself many times over.

Sadly it doesn't have a test fire option for the airbag controller, but it will tell you what airbag fault it "sees" - whether a pretensioner, side bag, frontal airbag, control unit, clockspring, even the warning light on the dash gets a diagnostic check on it.
It could also be a break in the wiring between the BSI unit and the engine bay computer (can't remember what its called). Mine has this fault. Car works OK, these comms lines are twisted pair for noise immunity, but will work if one of the wires goes open circuit. Do you have the "passenger airbag deactivated" light on also? This is lit on mine, together with the airbag light. Understand from Rustscrat that this is the way the fault is indicated to the driver before putting Lexia on it.