Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Power Assisted Steering Noisy and Vibrating
I had to take my 13 plate van into the local Citroen garage as I was getting a knocking noise from the front, and couldn't pin it down to a particular side. The noise seemed to occur at low speeds on and off, particularly after braking. It turns out that all the front wheel nuts were loose.

As I turned to drive away there was a strange vibration and noise, which at first I put down to be the concrete surface. I went to turn out onto the main road and the noise and vibration occurred again. Realising something wasn't right I turned back into the garage and got the mechanic to have a look. The noise and vibration was occurring, although not so badly, when the steering was turned whilst the van was not in motion.

The mechanic said he had felt it when parking the van, but thought it may have been normal, but I've never heard it do that before in 8000 miles. After lifting the bonnet, he held his hand on a pipe which seemed to lessen the effect. He didn't know what the cause was or how to solve it but would have a look see if there are any info on his computer. I said I would carry on driving and see if it settles down.

The noise and vibration only occurs at low speed, and is worst when turning to the left. Through the steering wheel it feels and sounds like driving over a cattle grid, which is definitely not normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or ideas on what it could be?

Many thanks
Yup!!!! If you want to bring the fault on.....Roll the van down the road without the engine on and turn the wheels.....next time you start the van the steering will vibrate like chuff and the whole van will shudder when you turn the wheels at low speed! It seems to go away after a little while of driving - frustrating!

Glad to see I am not the only person to have experienced this!
"The mechanic said he had felt it when parking the van, but thought it may have been normal,"

Didn't he know then?? And this is a Citroen Main Dealer?
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(16-08-2013, 06:55 AM)By jingo Wrote:  I had to take my 13 plate van into the local Citroen garage as I was getting a knocking noise from the front, and couldn't pin it down to a particular side. The noise seemed to occur at low speeds on and off, particularly after braking. It turns out that all the front wheel nuts were loose.

As I turned to drive away there was a strange vibration and noise, which at first I put down to be the concrete surface. I went to turn out onto the main road and the noise and vibration occurred again. Realising something wasn't right I turned back into the garage and got the mechanic to have a look. The noise and vibration was occurring, although not so badly, when the steering was turned whilst the van was not in motion.

The mechanic said he had felt it when parking the van, but thought it may have been normal, but I've never heard it do that before in 8000 miles. After lifting the bonnet, he held his hand on a pipe which seemed to lessen the effect. He didn't know what the cause was or how to solve it but would have a look see if there are any info on his computer. I said I would carry on driving and see if it settles down.

The noise and vibration only occurs at low speed, and is worst when turning to the left. Through the steering wheel it feels and sounds like driving over a cattle grid, which is definitely not normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or ideas on what it could be?

Many thanks

Hi.

ive had this on my van when i put new front pads in and turned the wheels without the engine running. Jack it up at the front so both front wheels are off the floor. With the engine running keep turning the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Do that about ten times and it will solve the problem.

Mart...........
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mart7792 for this post:
  • doofer