Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Missing service history, 1.6 Petrol
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice from the experts. I'm after a Mk2 1.6 petrol and have found one locally that's pretty much what I want.

It's a 55 reg with 60000 miles, MoT, cosmetically good, engine runs quietly and without smoke or anything untoward. Reasonable price etc.

BUT, there's a big gap in the service history. Main dealer up to 22K then no service records since 2008. MoT history indicates it has had a couple of failures on front suspension components and the odd bulb, but of course gives no indication of how the engine's been treated.

It appears to have had a new radiator relatively recently. I couldn't find any signs of accident damage/repairs though I will HPI check if I proceed. Engine bay looks good.

I'm fairly sure it hasn't gone unserviced- both the oil and the air filter are relatively clean but not brand new.

How much of a risk is the missing service history? Are these petrol engines fairly tough things? I'm not too worried about it affecting resale value, as I'll probably keep it for a fair few years, by which time it'll be worth very little anyway.

Every indication is of a well looked-after vehicle, but the doubt remains...
I dont think service history makes much difference as most garages dont do the work ! If it looks right and sounds good , don't worry about it ! I have always serviced my own cars and never had a problem selling them with no history !
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to royboy302 for this post:
  • Blonet
Is the service book missing/lacking history?
Either does not mean it's not been serviced just no record.
Does the seller say it's not been serviced?
If the oil etc looks OK & it runs OK,if the price reflects this & you are confident,go for it.
I would,however,give it a birthday & change all oils & filters,brake fluid etc.That way you know from day 1 it's all OK.
Good luck whatever you decide.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • Blonet
(20-09-2013, 05:46 PM)royboy302 Wrote:  I dont think service history makes much difference as most garages dont do the work !

Cynic! You're probably right though...

(20-09-2013, 06:48 PM)ron Wrote:  Is the service book missing/lacking history?
Either does not mean it's not been serviced just no record.
Does the seller say it's not been serviced?
If the oil etc looks OK & it runs OK,if the price reflects this & you are confident,go for it.
I would,however,give it a birthday & change all oils & filters,brake fluid etc.That way you know from day 1 it's all OK.
Good luck whatever you decide.:thumbsup:

Yep, the service book is present but only has stamps up to 22K miles, nowt else. The seller is a small dealer (who seems OK, to be fair) and doesn't have any other history on the car. An engine service is part of the deal- easy enough to check that the oil's been changed at least.

Ho hum.
I work on cars in my spare time , servicing /repairs and the like , word got around that i worked on cars and now have a customer base of about 50 people now all with tails of woes from garages !
No more tales of woe, as I've just bought it. Picking it up once the garage has completed a service on it (stop it, Roy).

Please feel free to tell me what a brilliant decision this was.
(21-09-2013, 04:15 PM)Blonet Wrote:  Please feel free to tell me what a brilliant decision this was.

Of course it's brilliant!
After being diesel drivers for years, we've had an older 1.6 petrol for 18 months now, and it's still - er - brilliant!
Enjoy. Big Grin
Welcome to the petrol-Bling minority on this mostly diesel (bless 'em all) forum!
Its a Citroën of course it will be ok ! They just go on and on !
Happy motoring !,
Well, quick update. The Berlingo is sat on the drive gleaming in the sun.

So far all is well, the only thing I've spotted is an intermittent horn.* This is probably down to it being French. [insert innuendo here]

So, time will tell whether it is either:

a) An engaging throwback to the 2CV, the Ami and the R4, conjuring images of cruising through the Loire valley on clear spring days, simply oozing Gallic charm and cheeky joie de vivre.

Or

b) A crappy French van, that should smell of BO and onions.

I'm hoping for a) and will lay off the onions.

ps 1.6 petrol! Mon Dieu! Il est plus rapide qu'un cormorant.

*helpful Berlingo forum thread already detected.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blonet for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers