Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Loud engine 1.9d, can't figure it out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday morning when I started up the van, I instantly noticed the engine was much noisier than normal, it was fine the day before. Its sounds almost like a bad exhaust leak and that's what I thought it was.

This afternoon Iv got under the van and checked the exhaust over and manifold, can't spot any issues visually and exhaust is in pretty good condition. I then started the van and blocked the tail pipe hoping I would find a hissing noise leading me to the leak, that didn't work, no hissing and the engine stalled after a few seconds.

The heavy engine noise seems to be coming from around the engine bay area, Iv checked the air box and inlet manifold, also checked for loss of oil pressure. Everything looks and seems normal, van drives fine as well. Its hard to trace exactly where the noise is coming from, seems more to the top left of the engine.

Can anyone think what could cause an exhaust blow throaty sort of noise?

2006 Berlingo 1.9D

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Have you got an injector leaking? Would be very unusual on a 1.9 though.
Check the airbox is not loose on it's mountings.
Found it!!

Power steering pump has come loose from the engine block, its rattling around like mad, don't know how I missed it the first time I checked.. If I put my hand on the pump the noise goes away, I can't believe a loose component could cause so much noise lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk