Berlingo Forum

Full Version: towing a caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Does anyone know if the 1.6hdi 90bhp is powerful enough to tow a caravan with a weight of 1000kg ? I don't know if I should go for the more expensive 110bhp. Anyone got any experience of towing with the 90bhp model? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hi there jjb,

i currently have a 2.0 HDI which is only 90 bhp and tow a caravan of around 1100kg mgw and it pulls it very well so with your van being less weight it should be ok, i know it is a smaller engine but has same power output just one thing i reccomend is to plan ahead with gear changes for example drop down a gear in enough time for going up hill etc.

hope this helps for now and maybe someone with the 1.6 maybe along shortly but in meanwhile try this website
whattowcar.com

on top left of page there is a link to outfit matching fill this in and should give you a rough idea
(03-12-2011, 02:10 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there jjb,

i currently have a 2.0 HDI which is only 90 bhp and tow a caravan of around 1100kg mgw and it pulls it very well so with your van being less weight it should be ok, i know it is a smaller engine but has same power output just one thing i reccomend is to plan ahead with gear changes for example drop down a gear in enough time for going up hill etc.

hope this helps for now and maybe someone with the 1.6 maybe along shortly but in meanwhile try this website
whattowcar.com

on top left of page there is a link to outfit matching fill this in and should give you a rough idea

Hi Berlingo HDI, Thanks for the info.Last thing I want is to buy something not suitable.Will check out your suggestion ,thanks again.
Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a 2009 Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDI 110bhp last week.I'm really pleased with it and feel I got a good deal and great service from Bentleys Citroen (Warrington) It's a Citroen approved car and comes with 12 month new car guarantee and 30 day exchange option if I'm not happy with anything.
All I need to do now is have a towbar fitted, hook up the caravan and hope for the best !!