Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Keeping Sliding Doors Runing Smoothly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My doors feel as if there is grit in the runners, what do people recommend for cleaning the tracks and keeping the doors running smoothly please?
(16-11-2023, 11:42 AM)Matt Haigh Wrote: [ -> ]My doors feel as if there is grit in the runners, what do people recommend for cleaning the tracks and keeping the doors running smoothly please?

After giving the tracks a good clean I normally use silicone grease in spray form. I've found that any thicker type [like vaseline or silicone grease paste type] accumulates too much grit and probably does more harm than good.

The cheapest place to get spray cans of Silicone Grease that I've seen is when they have them in stock [they tend to be in the offers with either car stuff or DIY stuff] in the German discount supermarkets [Lidl/Aldi] normally around £2.99 a can.
Cans of compressed air for computer air-dusting would work to blast the grit out first, then lube as advised above by . You can get those online easily.
My sliding doors get in a heck of a state mostly down to my dogs being on and off the beach - they jump in and out and the sand gets in everywhere.

The doors are hard to get moving / close from the fully open position and rumble like the devil as they slide both ways.

I use a garden hose with the trigger gun set to " jet " to direct water into and along both top and bottom rails ( dooors open whilst doing so ! ) and work the doors open and shut whilst washing the gubbings out

This does the trick for me

Once washed out it is best to lube everything if you can

I buy WD40 liquid by the gallon ( I have lots of other uses / hobbies ) and using a hand squirter much like a kitchen cleaner bottle give the gubins a good sluicing with the stuff, does the job.
Otherwise use an aerosol oil spray or a spray grease - as said Lidl etc often have decent stuff at agreeable prices