Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Fuel tank half full, revving highly on its own.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.
I have 98 1.9diesel berlingo (800), with 110000 miles, i seem to be having a problem when the diesel tank reaches half empty the engine acts strange the revs jump very high on their own also there is a lot of blue smoke till finally the van stalls like it ran out of diesel. I would aprriciate any help on fixing this problem as it is very frustrating.
Yours kindly,
Frustrated Berlingo driver.:brickwall:
Mines the same when it hits quarter of a tank
Sounds like it's running on its own oil to be honest, has it always done it or is it a new feature?
(24-04-2012, 07:28 AM)northants_guy Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like it's running on its own oil to be honest, has it always done it or is it a new feature?

Used to happen a lot years ago with diesel engines. Eventually they fix themselves, they rev and rev until all remaining oil is drawn from the sump and the engine then seizes up...
Nope its no a oil issue more of a air in pipes issue happens to mine when im low on juice its as if a ping pong ball is in the tank and when it gets low it cover the outlet hole
(24-04-2012, 03:27 PM)muply Wrote: [ -> ]Nope its no a oil issue more of a air in pipes issue happens to mine when im low on juice its as if a ping pong ball is in the tank and when it gets low it cover the outlet hole

Thats exactly how mine acts taught my fuel gauge was broken was wondering is there any way of fixing this
(24-04-2012, 04:37 PM)Berlingo Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-04-2012, 03:27 PM)muply Wrote: [ -> ]Nope its no a oil issue more of a air in pipes issue happens to mine when im low on juice its as if a ping pong ball is in the tank and when it gets low it cover the outlet hole

Thats exactly how mine acts taught my fuel gauge was broken was wondering is there any way of fixing this

Could this be a blocked fuel tank vent? which would cause a vacuum in the tank.
Im unsure at the mo its hard to trace ive just started running mine with the fuel cap off to see if that makes any difference will let you no
(25-04-2012, 03:15 AM)muply Wrote: [ -> ]Im unsure at the mo its hard to trace ive just started running mine with the fuel cap off to see if that makes any difference will let you no

I would not run with the cap off, just open then replace it at the end of each day.
Didnt work anyhow lol
Pages: 1 2