Berlingo Forum
Starting Issues - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Starting Issues (/thread-13950.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 26-07-2016

Thanks C ;-)

Well, what a truely horrible location to put a starter motor :-0 Removed the air filter box and associated ducts as the haynes manual says to gain acess to the top of the starter motor...could I see it, could I buggery. Put the car on my ramps and found it but no way of getting my hand to it from underneath to support it on removal, and bugger all chances of retrieving the locating dowel as I can't even see where they'd go due to obstructions. I can just about get my hand around it from above but can't see it due to wiring looms and other obstructions.

Anyone removed one before, any advice?

RE: Starting Issues - Johny555 - 26-07-2016

I hear their a pig to get at on 1.6 hdi,I'm sure someone on here will explain how,or Google it,

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 26-07-2016

Do it from above by *feel* It's not the worst to be honest- Just fiddly. You will have more room if you remove the battery, but I've never needed to.

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 27-07-2016

(26-07-2016, 06:50 PM)Col Wrote:  Do it from above by *feel* It's not the worst to be honest- Just fiddly. You will have more room if you remove the battery, but I've never needed to.

I'm going to go and have another look at it now, but tbh, I'm really aprehensive about doing it by touch, I can't even see any of the bolts and the thought of locating the 'locating dowels' when I can't even see them is worrying.
I've got a Bosch starter waiting for me at Eurocarparts, had a 30% offer on it so it's £95 instead of £136, though it does come with a £119 retainer to be paid, refunded when I take the old unit back.

J555, I did google and youtube it, searched the forum too, all to no avail.

EDIT, I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one :-( On further inspection I found 2 of the 3 bolts (top left and bottom right looking from the battery) bolts but can't find the 3rd for the life of me. The location is a absolut pig to get at, bloody aweful design!

RE: Starting Issues - Col - 27-07-2016

You need to get the 3rd one from underneath. Everything else is easier from above (without a ramp)

It looks like it goes on like this  (from memory). I assume it's the bottom right and top right I can feel/see, which one of the top left 2 is the bolt and which one is the dowel

[Image: 20160727_192523_zpsyjdgzcdz.jpg]

[Image: 20160727_192535_zps0dh9jc1w.jpg]

RE: Starting Issues - dumdum - 27-07-2016

The dowel is in the top right hole, see how it gets slightly stepped down about 6mm in, that's the 6mm deep section for the dowel, the top left bolt is from the batter side through the gearbox flange and screws into the starter, the other two are above each other and go in from cambelt side of starter with threads in the gearbox, the top one is a pig to get at and you'll need a long Allen key on a ratchet or bit driver with an extension to get it

(27-07-2016, 07:00 PM)dumdum Wrote:  The dowel is in the top right hole, see how it gets slightly stepped down about 6mm in, that's the 6mm deep section for the dowel, the top left bolt is from the batter side through the gearbox flange and screws into the starter, the other two are above each other and go in from cambelt side of starter with threads in the gearbox, the top one is a pig to get at and you'll need a long Allen key on a ratchet or bit driver with an extension to get it

Thanks for your help dumdum, it's much appreciated. I'm going to have another look at this tomorrow (weather permitting), I have the tools it's knowing where to put em Rolleyes I got quoted 2.5 hours labour today for the job.

RE: Starting Issues - dumdum - 28-07-2016

It's an hr tops on a ramp, book time is 1.5hrs from memory and that includes removing battery etc

RE: Starting Issues - Vossy1 - 02-08-2016

Many thanks for all the help guys, but I've had to admit defeat and it's being fitted tomorrow, quoted 1.5hrs (like you said dumdum) so not too bad. I still couldn't find one of the top bolts, perhaps if I had a locating mirror it would have been easier.

On starting the car to get it on the ramps the solenoid on the starter was almost too hot to touch once I was under the car, I'm not sure if that's normal but though I'd mention it. It had been started twice in 5 minutes, the latter time within a minute of getting to it from underneath.

I haven't had a repeat of the starting 'issue' since replacing the battery, so maybe that was the problem, but it's not worth removing the starter to test it with the labour involved so might as well just replace it. If I didn't and it failed in France it would just be one of those 'I told you so' moments from the mrs !!!!..so again not worth it from that perspective alone Rolleyes 

I don't know if 90,000 is good for a starter motor nowadays, strikes me they must be much more hardy than those of years ago due to all the bluetech 'start and go' engines. If I have a repeat of the issue on our impending journey I will report back.

Thanks once again.