Berlingo Forum
1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving (/thread-21248.html)

1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - Svein Niño Loco Longva - 06-07-2021

Hello,
I have a problem with my Berlingo. When the car is at idle, slow driving and in steep hills the car wil overheat.

If i put on the heater in the car on full, temperature will go down abitt.

Annyboady have some tips on what can be wrong?

(Sorry my bad language.)

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - cancunia - 06-07-2021

Maybe the water thermostat is stuck closed?

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - RattyCortina - 07-07-2021

AFAIK 'modern' thermostats 'fail safe', IE they stick open. It sounds like maybe the fan isn't cutting in, if it doesn't overheat when driving and there is airflow through the rad.

You can check the 'stat by running the engine from cold and feeling the top hose, it will be warm and then suddenly come hot when the 'stat opens.

May sound obvious, but I take it you have checked the coolant level?

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - cancunia - 08-07-2021

(07-07-2021, 04:49 PM)RattyCortina Wrote:  AFAIK 'modern' thermostats 'fail safe', IE they stick open. It sounds like maybe the fan isn't cutting in, if it doesn't overheat when driving and there is airflow through the rad.

You can check the 'stat by running the engine from cold and feeling the top hose, it will be warm and then suddenly come hot when the 'stat opens.

Yep, good points.

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - Svein Niño Loco Longva - 13-07-2021

(07-07-2021, 04:49 PM)RattyCortina Wrote:  AFAIK 'modern' thermostats 'fail safe', IE they stick open. It sounds like maybe the fan isn't cutting in, if it doesn't overheat when driving and there is airflow through the rad.

Thanks for the answer!

Well, it do look like the fan is not turning on.

So wher do i go from this? Is ther some type of sensor/ relay that can be broken? Maybe i can try to jump the fan to chek if engine is working?

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - Kieron G - 14-07-2021

I guess you could run a temporary supply to the fan to check it.works You could also check that there is a supply to the fan when the engine gets hot. I never had this problem but think there might be a relay involved with the switching that you could check

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - jimbo - 15-07-2021

How high does the gauge go ? I thought my fan was not working as the temperature would go over half way so I used to turn on the heater full blast to help it . but once when I did not notice the gauge going up the fan did cut in eventually .

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - Svein Niño Loco Longva - 16-07-2021

Well, i have never let it go up to more than a 105/110.

RE: 1,9d 2004, overheting when idle and in slow driving - jimbo - 26-07-2021

I think the gauge on mine gets to around 100/110 (top 1/4) before the fan cuts in but drops down to normal within minutes.