Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Power Steering - Leak and which fluid
Citroen Berlingo 1.4i Petrol 2006.

Hi, my Berlingo has been leaking a very small amount of power steering fluid, I have been topping up every 6 months or so, but today I have found the reservoir is empty, although the power steering still seems to be working ok, thankfully, so I assume I still have some in the system.

I have tried to trace the leak. It doesn't appear to be at the reservoir/pump end, it seems to be shortly before the steering rack, possibly around an blue electrical socket (see photos). Please can someone give me some advice as to what this blue electrical socket is and if it is serviceable. Also advice on how to disconnect the clip on the electrical socket.

Finally, I have been looking on all the auto parts sites for the correct power steering fluid. I seem to get lots of different answers. The original handbook says Total ATX fluid, but I guess this may now have been updated. Some auto parts sites have suggested Comma PSF which seems to be fairly universal but not sure what the significance of the ATX is compared to ATF.

Many thanks for any advice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Have a look at this - appears to be what you have there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKTojpsB-g
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to oilyrag for this post:
  • AshleyP
Thank you for the link. I did actually find this video, which does look similar to the leak I have, I just can't quite figure out how to disconnect this part. The guy in the video seems to do it while the plastic connector is out of shot, probably even one handed, so I guess it should be easy, but I am slightly afraid of damaging the plastic connector!

Any advice please about the correct power steering fluid to use?

Thanks again.
If it's the sensor that's leaking, you could buy a new one and see how the connector works. From the look of the video at 1:38 you can see it looks like the sensor has a raised part to hold the connector on. If so, it will probably be a case of gently pulling the latch on the connector away from the side and at the same time pulling the connector off. I think the MAF (on the diesel at least) has the same kind of connector & it's easier to see.

Total ATX is still available, you can see what the spec is from following a couple of web links and either buying that or a similar spec oil.

[attachment=6237 Wrote:          AshleyP pid='131842' dateline='1614468231']Thank you for the link. I did actually find this video, which does look similar to the leak  I have, I just can't quite figure out how to disconnect this part. The guy in the video seems to do it while the plastic connector is out of shot, probably even one handed, so I guess  it should be easy, but I am slightly afraid of damaging the plastic connector!

Any advice please about the correct power steering fluid to use?

Thanks again.

If you look at the connector it has what appear to be 2 'prongs' - below this is a housing, and just below that is a small clip - shown here as a yellow line. You need to pull that clip outwards with finger nail, and this will release the clip that the 2 prongs are pushing into the pressure sensor . As the clip moves outwards - only a mm or two - pull the connector upwards and it will release. If you can't easily move the clip with your nail, push the connector downwards to take off any pressure on the plastic. Good luck.
Many thanks folks, very much appreciated.

I have now managed to release the connector as described above. Then removed the sensor (a little tricky to get a spanner on it, but found a box spanner worked well).

At first glance the sensor and seals looked to be ok, however, with a magnifying glass I could see a small crack in the head of the nut (see photos), which I hope is where my leak is coming from. Had a quick look on Ebay for a new Berlingo sensor and although they all look the same, the part numbers and prices seem to vary quite a lot so think I will wait until tomorrow and call the nearest Citroen dealer.

Thanks for the advice also about the fluid. Have found this on Ebay so will order some later.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Fluidma...SwLLlgImrO

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)