Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Led Headlights
H, i have searched the forum for some info on the subject but couldn't find anything relevant.
so i'm posting my question here for help.

I have a 2004 2.0 HDI Berlingo, and wanted to replace all bulbs to led, to save power and increase light.
i have successfully replaced the interior ones and now i can actually see at night inside my car.
i have also managed to replace my read bulbs to led,
but now i tried to replace the front headlights to led, so i ordered leds from a site and when they arrived i tried to install them, they fit but would not light.

after that test they smelled burnt, and i got my refund for them, my question is, is there a guide on what i needto search for in a LED replacement for that socket? (H4)

also a bonus question, i had 2 w5w lights in my front lamps, both burnt from when i got the car, anyone know what they're used for?

thanks in advance! Smile
top tip - LED headlights..

Forget it - your headlights won't be compliant anyway. As for LED sidelights, might as well forget them too - I've recently fitted a set and within 2 weeks they started flickering, I will never learn. They just don't last unless you spend decent money.
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
(16-12-2015, 12:13 PM)scepterus Wrote:  I had 2 w5w lights in my front lamps, both burnt from when i got the car, anyone know what they're used for?

Commonly called " side lights " that is if I read your question correctly.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(16-12-2015, 01:28 PM)geoff Wrote:  
(16-12-2015, 12:13 PM)scepterus Wrote:  I had 2 w5w lights in my front lamps, both burnt from when i got the car, anyone know what they're used for?

Commonly called " side lights " that is if I read your question correctly.

i guess so yeah, what are they used for? and should i replace them?
yeah, side lights are very tempremental, think im going back to standard soon...

edit: i wonder are these any good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLIN...Sw9mFWHjqq
(16-12-2015, 04:36 PM)miccheck1516 Wrote:  yeah, side lights are very tempremental, think im going back to standard soon...

edit: i wonder are these any good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLIN...Sw9mFWHjqq

still don't understand if i should put new one, and what they do.
Are you talking about small bulbs in the headlamps?If so,here in the UK they're used for parking lights.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Hi the first thing the head light's led's need to be canbus but don't use them they mite look bright in the head light it self but the light on the road will be very poor go for some H4 night breaker's or some thing light that . The side light's 501 / T10 capless don't go paying £10 for them go for 501 / T10 canbus led's for a lot less.
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

ok, A. are you saying there no led bulbs that light brighter than halogen?
B. what do you mean they're used for parking? here you either light your full lights, either at night or during the day in the winter, or you do light anything.
(17-12-2015, 04:22 AM)scepterus Wrote:  ok, A. are you saying there no led bulbs that light brighter than halogen?
B. what do you mean they're used for parking? here you either light your full lights, either at night or during the day in the winter, or you do light anything.

A. No, not saying that, it is just that LED headlamp retro-fitments are not legal in the UK [where most of the readers/posters are based] and even if they were LEDs tend to be a lot more expensive than conventional lamps, so is it really worth doing on a 2004 Berlingo? There are plenty of very bright conventional lamps out there and also if you really do want extremely bright lights HID [High Intensity Discharge] Xenon Lamp kits are available for the Berlingo...again very expensive.  

B. "Parking" or "side lights" are the small 5W lamps. They are commonly used in UK and other European countries. For example in the UK it is legal to drive in an area with streetlamps below 30 MPH [approx 50KPH] using just these small 5W side lights, although most people use dipped beam headlamps. 
Over in Germany, I seem to remember, with German cars if you parked up in a dimly lit area at night, the action of switching on the indicator on the side furthest out into the road and then switching off the ignition meant the "side light" on that side would remain on thereby giving other cars visibility of your car and as it was only one small light it didn't drain the battery too fast.

I looked at replacing my side lights with LEDs but reading online the quality is too poor at the moment [from what I've read] so I'll stick to normal lamps.