Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Knocking / vibration from drivers side hub.
Hi

Just got my 2.0hdi back from a garage after a clutch change, anti rollbar mounts done and 2 wheel bearings fitted in the drivers side front hub (the first one was vibrating). The drivers side front hub now appears to be loose again and knocking quite badly after only 50 miles. I'm now thinking that the front hub itself may be knackered but am not sure, can anyone shed any light on whether the front hubs do go? The cars done 120k and the bearing was noisy for a while. Also about 3 months ago the drivers side CV joint snapped, and I replaced this. Could this have caused damage to the hub (it snapped at very low speed)?

Cheers

Rechid
(14-04-2013, 02:12 PM)Rechid Wrote:  Hi

Just got my 2.0hdi back from a garage after a clutch change, anti rollbar mounts done and 2 wheel bearings fitted in the drivers side front hub (the first one was vibrating). The drivers side front hub now appears to be loose again and knocking quite badly after only 50 miles. I'm now thinking that the front hub itself may be knackered but am not sure, can anyone shed any light on whether the front hubs do go? The cars done 120k and the bearing was noisy for a while. Also about 3 months ago the drivers side CV joint snapped, and I replaced this. Could this have caused damage to the hub (it snapped at very low speed)?

Cheers

Rechid
Could it be the botton crank pulley my MK 1 2.0Hdi did similar & I thought it was a wheel bearing sounded very similar for a long time until it seemed that the main bearings or the power steering pump had let go, but it was the rubber bonded bottom pulley just £48 for the parts and I fixed myself.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Husqyman for this post:
  • Rechid
Well its now all fixed, turns out it was the new CV joint splined shaft was too long and wouldn't tighten the bearing on to the hub. So 2 new bearings and a second hand hub later all it really needed was a couple of spacers behind the shaft and 1 new bearing! Ah well we live and learn.