Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Column Universal Joint
Hi all,

I do apologise if this question has already been answered. I have exhausted a search and can't find anything.

I need to replace the universal joint on the steering column where it meets the rack, and would appreciate any tips before I start the job. I know the O.E part number is 4103H5.

It looks like I un-clamp the joint from the rack and then undo the pinch bolt on the column and slide the joint shaft up the column to release it from the rack. I also have to fit and tie rod and track rod end. It looks like I will have better access to the rack when I have the tie rod and track rod end removed.
Just an update on the job above. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Refitting only took a matter of minutes after an hour or so removing the joint.
I jacked the van up on an axle stand. Inside I removed the pinch bolt on the steering column. 13mm nut and 13mm bolt.
Underneath I removed the bolt on the joint to the rack. Again a 13mm nut. Pried down the Collar washer and pushed out the bolt.
This is where it got awkward. The splines on the upper steering column were very dry, so plenty of lube spray, GT85 or WD40. I used GT85. I clamped a vise grips on the lower shaft and tapped it with a small lump hammer to free it. Once it was free I lubed the splines with grease. After this removal was straight forward. I slid the joint up towards the steering wheel as far as it would go and manipulated the joint up and out through the bulkhead into the drivers footwell.
Refitting was a lot easier and fitting the grommet into the bulkhead took a couple of minutes. Just had to make sure that the flaps sticking into the engine bay were pushed in towards the shaft when pushed into place. A firm shove ensured that the grommet snapped into place.
I hope someone else finds this beneficial and is able to save some head scratching time!!
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to leppy80 for this post:
  • geoff, jj9, polar, RJBingham, Tomcat3
Great, thanks for your write up Leppy80..

How did you know the UJ needed changing ? What symptoms / fault were you experiencing ?
 My 'lingo has a 'knock' when steering left to right and feels like a heavy thud when the steering wheel is rocked from side to side. Is this the same as your experience ?

Did you fit a genuine part ?
Black Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI 2011
Silver 1.9D Mutispace desire 2004 DW8B non Turbo..
White 1.9D Van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
Silver MGF 1.8 16v 1999
AJ
I'd check your road springs for the ' knock' and you can get heavy thuds from a broken spring.
if it is broken then change the top strut bearing while your there.
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo 
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
Cheers Brodfather...

I have replaced the top mounts and bearings already but a great suggestion..

I did get some help for this one ( the Wife took some time off cooking and cleaning ) and by rocking the steering wheel discovered the Lower U/J is the culprit...  It is quite scary to think that all that is keeping the steering wheel in contact with the road is a flimsy looking joint getting dried out.. I'm going to put a grease filled bag or something over the new one when I fit it..

Bloody Seasons greetings means nothing when your car breaks down and the parts will not be available until after 3rd of Jan... Oh well crack open a bottle I say...
Black Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI 2011
Silver 1.9D Mutispace desire 2004 DW8B non Turbo..
White 1.9D Van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
Silver MGF 1.8 16v 1999
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ajcommercial for this post:
  • Silverberlingo
has anyone else replaced the UJ rather than just lubed it? Big improvements? I see there are some generic parts available at 30 quid rather than 90 for the Peugeot one. Any thoughts?
(30-12-2017, 02:59 PM)ajcommercial Wrote:  Great, thanks for your write up Leppy80..

How did you know the UJ needed changing ? What symptoms / fault were you experiencing ?
 My 'lingo has a 'knock' when steering left to right and feels like a heavy thud when the steering wheel is rocked from side to side. Is this the same as your experience ?

Did you fit a genuine part ?

For info, My Lower UJ has failed. In garage tomorrow. It looks like the spider cup on the Upside part of the lower UJ has severe wear. Symptons Steering Binds due to misalignment and car intermittent drifts requiring constant control. You can see the the UJ moving without any movement on the input shaft of the Steering Rack The posts associated with this should STEER you down the right path to repair. Garage cost Estimated at £200.
After lubing a year ago and problem subsiding, I'm now getting more advanced wear, I think. 119,000m.
Just another heads up as to whether anyone has tried the £30 pattern part, or found the original part discounted anywhere? (I hear from Fish Brothers that they cannot supply the H4 variant any longer - presumably LHD? but can still do the H5 at £150. I've just found one for 105 on ebay. Beware of the small print for the H4 pattern parts on line... seems the steering wheel will be 1/4 out and need placing on spine again to centre.)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pondweed for this post:
  • RJBingham