Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
radio/display issue
Swapped out the radio for an aftermarket one and now the display doesn't work, it occasionally says eco mod but nothing else. 

I did all this with the battery disconnected as it was off the van anyway. 

Out of interest I refitted the old radio to see if that would bring the display back on but the same results and the radio didn't work either (it was working before removal).

It's not a major issue as it would only show the time and date anyway with an aftermarket stereo but has something spat its dummy out at having an aftermarket head unit in?
ECO mode means the battery voltage has dropped to the level where the BSI has shut down to save it going completely flat, start the engine and run for a few minutes, then switch off and lock the vehicle, the ECO mode should be gone for now. When its active, the battery light flashes when you unlock the doors until the engine has been run again for a bit.

If you have spent a fair bit of time with the ignition or interior lights on fitting the new stereo, the BSI will drop into ECO mode by itself. The aftermarket stereos stop the trip computer functions being accessible, the time and date settings from being changed and the reversing sensor beeps from the speakers - but those beeps can be re-routed to the module under the steering wheel using DiagBox software and a Lexia 3 interface. The rest is gone without the original stereo.

The old stereo won't come on either until you are out of ECO mode. If it won't start, charge the battery and get it running, ECO will go off by itself and all will be normal again.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • jimbo84, Slimslim
Makes sense, I only had the terminals hooked onto the battery, hadn't tightened them as it was coming straight back off so could have been that making it think the battery was low and putting it in eco mod.

Once it's refitted properly and up and running I'll see what happens.
Mission, you're "missing" the point. The vehicle was in eco mode, that's why the display was off.

For anyone stuck in eco mode, if you have a Lexia, you can wake the BSI and force it to normal mode though it should happen automatically with a good battery once the engine is running.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(02-09-2020, 05:30 AM)Zion Wrote:  Mission, you're "missing" the point. The vehicle was in eco mode, that's why the display was off.

For anyone stuck in eco mode, if you have a Lexia, you can wake the BSI and force it to normal mode though it should happen automatically with a good battery once the engine is running.

Oops my bad, sorry guys Smile
2007 Peugeot Partner Zenith RIP Sad
2010 Seat Ibiza ST 
Haha no worries mate. Couldn't resist the Mission / missing pun. Wink
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Battery back on and started up today, display back to date and time, everything seems to be working although the backlighting for the display doesn't seem to be on and it was before. Do the bulbs pick up their feed from the radio? as I altered the wiring slightly for the new stereo.
Hmm, no I don't think so, should be lit all the time. Mind you, maybe it does get it's feed from the radio but I'm sure others have put new stereos in and had it light up, but just couldn't alter the time.

Can you post a pic of what it looks like?

Could be the wee bulb has blown. It's only a tiny lamp that lights the MFD.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(04-09-2020, 05:09 PM)Zion Wrote:  Hmm, no I don't think so, should be lit all the time. Mind you, maybe it does get it's feed from the radio but I'm sure others have put new stereos in and had it light up, but just couldn't alter the time.

Can you post a pic of what it looks like?

Could be the wee bulb has blown. It's only a tiny lamp that lights the MFD.

It's just very dim, barely visible, I've got the battery back off again so can't get a picture of it.

I'll pull it apart and have a look at the bulb to see if it's blown.
It will be the bulbs I think there is 3 in total.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace