Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Grinding noise driving through water puddles drivetrain
So I never mentioned this before but it keeps happening all the time when its heavy raining and floods appear. I never slow down and the car is like a jetski but if you catch a big one the drive train keeps making grinding noises and I can't figure out which part exactly is at fault. It's definitely not engine as air filter is dry. Noise stays consistent and irrelevant to rpm or gear changes. The first thought you have about it is your disc brakes are grinding with the pads. its bad in a straight line, but worst if you steer half way but it gets nice and quiet at full lock.

Could it be water in the CV joints? Is it actually the discs? Anything belt related? water in the bearings?

p.s if you park the car for few seconds its gone, if you leave it for 30+min it will never come back until another season of floodings.
I have this exact problem too! Its very strange, mine 'seem's' to come from the rear more than the front....
Hi there,

I get this if my off-side front wheel goes through a puddle. The sound is sort of a mixture of belt squeal / chattering noise. It lasts about 15 seconds depending on the soaking. I can replicate it by tipping water on the Aux belt. Checked all components but find all are well. It's done this for the 5 years I’ve owned it. (1.9 DW8B Year 2000) Belt is correct tension etc. Not really bothered by it, I just try to avoid puddles. Dave.
Smile it's already happened! Big Grin
Driving through puddles the water can make your wheel arch liner fold back ward against the tyre, making a grinding noise, much like cards on a bike wheel when you were a kid....lol. Check to see if the bottom retaining lug is still in place on the bottom front of the liner, if not they're cheap as chips from a dealer.
As for the top query...no idea sorry.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Vossy1 for this post:
  • Kokain
I forgot to update this topic. Yes it was the water splash causing the arch liners to poke out and rub on the back of the tyres. That explains why at full lock it was gone. All my plastic screws from there are missing. I think I'm just gonna bin the liners like I've done to my BMW. Saves me cleaning all the crap behind them that has gathered through the years and causing rust.
(01-02-2014, 10:35 AM)Vossy1 Wrote:  Driving through puddles the water can make your wheel arch liner fold back ward against the tyre, making a grinding noise, much like cards on a bike wheel when you were a kid....lol. Check to see if the bottom retaining lug is still in place on the bottom front of the liner, if not they're cheap as chips from a dealer.
As for the top query...no idea sorry.

Ill second that, happens every damn time, I carry a small bag if those clips in the glove box now.Wink
So that's how my liners ended up all chewed up at the bottom

Don't know about ditching them though, Citroen for all their faults make a rust-resistant car and wouldn't have put them there for no reason. I mean come on we only get one eleccy adjustable door mirror! Big Grin (Not that I mind. Less to go wrong.)
2004 1.9D Multispace/Budget crew cab work van!
I resorted to a drill some pop rivets and some silicone to seal it off now... They ain't moving now...

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I prefer to leave them moveable so I can clean out any trapped salty mud in the springtime.
I removed mine and it's much better. Engine can get some nice fresh air from the side hehe. Which reminds me to the guy above who riveted them, how the hell are you going to get access when stuff breaks? The engine loom, the gearbox plate bolts, the auxiliary belt, how about if you have to change a simple bulb for the fog light?

Anyway as soon as I removed them I spend some time cleaning the wet mud that has gathered in the fenders over the years. No wonder why cars normally start to rust in that area.