Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
You View???
(23-10-2012, 11:19 AM)Muppet1 Wrote:  What did you have before as I have bt vision and apart from the hd content im not sure how much more I will gain.
Will await your reply if you get your update as I'm tied to bt until December but am thinking talktalk for the youview.
I had the following at various times:-

Thomson DHD4000 DVR. A lovely twin tuner recorder, that I stopped using when the hard disk gave out. I always planned to fix it, but soon after support for the non-standard 14 day EPG was stopped, which meant it was merely a manual recorder.

FetchTV. Bought my first heavily discounted at the Gadget Show. Loved the concept, but it had bugs. Was finally talked into a discounted purchase of the HD version, with the promise that the bugs were solved with that model. Worked perfectly for a few months, until a software upgrade introduced even more problems. Theoretically, it had great functionality: twin tuners, HD recording, ability to remotely access to schedule recordings, FetchTV's own VoD channel, and iPlayer. However, it was prone to corrupting recordings, the VoD channel rarely had anything worthwhile on it, and then FetchTV went bust, meaning the remote recording and iPlayer stopped working (I believe iPlayer is working again, but am not sure).

Wii: Games machine, but also with iPlayer.

In particular, the FetchTV box was frustrating, because we were promised so much that was never delivered - including 4OD.

Hence even though YouView has issues, there is a reasonable level of staff comment in the official forums, and an expectation that their software fixes and new features will actually appear. Already we have seen the addition of NowTV, which is a Sky subscriber Film on Demand service, and Milkshake, which is a kid-oriented Catchup service.

Note that my YouView was purchased so I have the Humax box. TalkTalk customers are getting a box from a different manufacturer, which I can't speak for, although the service is supposed to be the same.

The community pages on the official YouView site are worth reading for more detail, provided you take some of the more impatient "I want it now" folk with a pinch of salt.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Chris__M for this post:
  • Muppet1

Messages In This Thread
You View??? - by Muppet1 - 18-10-2012, 09:58 PM
RE: You View??? - by evdama - 19-10-2012, 02:30 PM
RE: You View??? - by Chris__M - 23-10-2012, 11:09 AM
RE: You View??? - by Muppet1 - 23-10-2012, 11:19 AM
RE: You View??? - by Chris__M - 23-10-2012, 02:35 PM