Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Brakes] 2013 berlingo 1.6 hdi ABS fault
Hi all, seems a fairly common thing.... had ABS light coming on for about a week
Comes on at ignition before moving... then goes out,, you can now drive up to 30mph and the ABS will continually trigger when braking.
go over 30mh and the warning light comes back on and it disables the abs.

I tested all 4 sensors on ohms today, got 

NEARSIDE FRONT 739 OHM
OFFSIDE FRONT 741 OHM
NEARSIDE REAR 6.2 OHM
OFFSIDE REAR 739 OHM

clearly the nearside rear is vastly different from the others, so I grabbed a replacement, which I tested out of the box at 741ohms

fitted it.... and have exactly the same problem :Sadeft battery off for 20mins too to no avail.  checked all fuses too.

vans only done bloomin 48k, 

hooked into OBD reader on laptop and it doesn't display any abs details... is this a dealer only fix?
Have you actually driven it for any distance after fitting the new sensor, I thought that they have to be driven for a while before the fault light clears after changing the sensor?
(29-03-2019, 05:02 PM)Quin Wrote:  hooked into OBD reader on laptop and it doesn't display any abs details... is this a dealer only fix?

Lexia or Diagbox might be more helpful with something like ABS. That's what the dealers will use in any case.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • Quin
(29-03-2019, 06:48 PM)cancunia Wrote:  
(29-03-2019, 05:02 PM)Quin Wrote:  hooked into OBD reader on laptop and it doesn't display any abs details... is this a dealer only fix?

Lexia or Diagbox might be more helpful with something like ABS. That's what the dealers will use in any case.

Ill need to go to a dealer for that i presume? 

@Multispacer
Ps yes drove a few miles fault still present
Try a few other checks on the infrastructure first, quick and cheap with a meter.

Voltage at local plug for each sensor.

Resistance check from main ABS controller plug to local sensor plug on each pair of sensor wires.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • Quin
(30-03-2019, 07:36 AM)Quin Wrote:  
(29-03-2019, 06:48 PM)cancunia Wrote:  

Ill need to go to a dealer for that i presume? 

You can buy Lexia / Diagbox from a lot of places, you'll also need a laptop to run the software & it can be a faff to set up. After a couple of uses, it'll pay for itself though.
French Car Forum & Peugeot Forum keep a list of members with Lexia so you might be able to get something done locally for a lot less than a dealer.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • Quin
I have Lexia with a laptop, and it only helped to initially tell me which sensor was not working. For other problems it is helpful though, for sure.

But my problem had nothing to do with the sensor itself (as I also bought a new one and changed it, and the problem was still there). The wire going from the abs pump plug to the sensor was broken internally (and badly oxidized too)in one of the places where it is attached to the bodywork with one of these cable-ties. It was one of the rear wheel sensors, and the place where it broke was relatively near to the sensor plug end (10-20 cm or so, right where the cable tie was). Re-soldering of the cable must be made with care, as big changes in the resistance of the sensor line will result in malfunction of the ABS.
Removal of the front wheel/wheel arch, where the abs pump is, and testing the continuity of the cable sensor lines between the abs plug and the sensor plug was what worked in my PUG - The cables are twisted pairs, and the colors of the cables in the abs pump plug are the same that arrive to the sensor plugs. I suggest you start by figuring out which of the cables is broken with continuity tests using a multimeter, and then try to pin-point the breakeage by making needle incisions in the cable for doing the continuity tests, starting at the longest distance from the abs pump possible. I started in the abs pump, and had to go all the way down the cable loom until I found the broken cable, 10 cm away from the sensor plug. I could have avoided disassembling dashboard parts and carpet, if I had started from the other end.
It can also be distance increase between the sensor and the magnet ring, or even a broken/malfunctioning magnet ring. Distance you can check by cleaning and refitting, and the magnet ring, you can only change by removing the hub/ and renewing the ball bearing.
When its doing it it seems to activate the abs on half of each wheel rotation rather than continious... It feels/sounds like front left but obviously the pump is there so it may just be that, ill be having another look at it this week, the vans only 5 years old and done 40k miles so i would hope broken cables are unlikely at this point. All plugs were lovely and clean... Ill update you all when ive done some more...

Today noticed its much more prominent at slow speeds 8e sub 20mph when i get near 30 and brake its fine... But then tip over 30 and it disables the abs anyway... Most annoying thing is when it does that it then decides to run the rad fan continually for about 10 minutes after switch off!
Broken cable highly likely & as previously reported they tend to fail where the cable ties hold them to the body.
Don’t assume that 48k miles shouldn’t cause an issue, we have dozens with this fault , lowest mileage the other day was 17k on a 66 plate 308 SW, car was still under warranty, but owner couldn’t wait to go through the dealer network.
We had him up & running in a few hours thankfully.