Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Sourcing Help Please
Trying to find a new exhaust for my Berlingo and it's... very tiring ;-)

I don't do much of my own work these days, so after the MOT came back with advisories for a holed front flexi and back box, I rang the garage a few weeks later to ask them to price a full replacement.

Had a message later to say they could only find them at "ridiculous prices" (£800+VAT :-O) so I would be better to find one myself, try eBay, and they'll fit it. Reluctantly I waded into the rabbit warren of vehicle variants, parts and compatibility.

Two weeks later and I'm not much further forward. Jacked the car up and crawled under to get a better idea what's actually there (as opposed to what parts catalogues say should be there based on my reg/model details): three parts - close coupled catalytic converter and flexi at the front (needs replacing), centre pipe with box (looks like it's been replaced more recently), and back box with tail pipe (rotten).

The good news then is that the centre pipe/box doesn't need replacing, and that seems to be the most expensive bit (assumed it would be the cat).

I've found and ordered a front (cat) section and gasket, which I'm fairly confident will fit.

But the back box has me stumped. I can find very few matches using my reg or the model and engine (it's a 2009 58 plate 1.6 90Hp petrol multispace). Had a lead from Mr Wiper on eBay who distribute EEC exhausts. The reg matches, but stock image doesn't (not a complete no-go), and neither does the length (even remotely), and they can't give me any other details since they don't physically stock it. Everything on the EEC site seems to suggest it doesn't fit.

The back box on mine (picture below... yes, I know it's overdue replacement!) has a distinctly square profile, whereas most of the stock images are round, a single mount to the side at the back, and a long section of pipe to the centre section, rather than a joint immediately behind the back box.

[Image: 2022-06-24-10-40-33.jpg]

The closest I've found is this breaker exhaust from (apparently) a 1.6HDi, which has the same back box, but a soldi pipe all the way to the front section, and no middle box, which really has just added to the confusion (no other 1.6HDi exhausts seem to look similar):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324098934362?...SwQrVbzyGy

Huh  Any related info that might help me piece it together is appreciated!
Well, having typed all that out, I went to have another look at 1.6HDi back boxes, which I thought I'd already done, and most (but not all) catalogue parts look similar. Clarius part CN592W seems to be a match. No idea if that's what's supposed to be on the car, but it is. There's a Clarius CN593V which looks identical, but is 3x the price, so I'm just ignoring that ;-)
By now all Berlingos of that vintage have had replacements, so any comparisons you see may well be aftermarket parts. Wouldn't worry too much about absolute shape. 
Missing the centre box out altogether is an option I'm considering on my earlier model. You could also consider an independent exhaust shop that makes up their own pipes and silencers - all will have a pipe bender and 'standard' boxes and are not always expensive, either in mild or stainless.
A 2008 Berlingo could be either an M59 or a B9 knowing which one would help. If you are not sure then post a photo and someone will tell you

Peter
Sorry, should have been clearer: it's a B9 (early 2009).

I wondered whether it was a previous replacement confusing the matter. The shape isn't important but the position of the mounts presumably is.

Hadn't considered a custom exhaust, will bear that in mind next time.

Cheers
Ignore stock pictures, they are for example only.

This is the exact same exhaust you want. Not bad nick either. For sale on eBay (used but like new)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223952055360?...media=COPY

If you want the actual part number then go to http://www.catcar.info and enter your VIN number then select the exhaust section to see the details.

Here is the exact page you want for the info (I decided it was quicker to do the car search for you than explain how to get there) - all B9 Berlingo 1.6 HDi use the same exhaust, it's not hard to find if you search.

Btw there is no middle box on this system. There never was.

http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&...aWVyPT0%3D
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
No, the stock photo isn't 100% reliable, but is a reasonable guide.

That eBay one is the one I linked to in the OP. I agree it's identical to my back box, but mine has a middle box, and since I can buy a replacement, assume it is meant to.

Thanks for the catcar link, that looks like a useful site. I had no problem finding an exhaust for a 1.6HDi, but since my car is a 1.6 petrol, it wasn't my first search.

Anyway, I've ordered a 1.6HDi Klarion exhaust and mounts now so fingers crossed that will fit.
Sorry, you mentioned 1.6 HDi so often yourself, I missed the one place you said it was a 1.6 petrol 90...the catcar site can be set to your own VIN (I used my own diesel one) and the correct part number will be shown. It may be the same. Petrol B9s are so much less common than diesels that it was an easy assumption. They may be the same exhaust, but maybe not. I'll have a look on Sedre when I get to work.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
They're not the same. The petrol 1.6i 16v has a middle resonator and the angle of the end is different as it goes into the rear box.

Yours should be like this:

http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&...BwbGllcj09

Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Ah, gotcha, no problem.

Catcar is the first site that's produced the right parts (at least the same parts that are on my car) given the right model information. The Klarius catalogue for instance insists all petrol exhausts are completely different.

Thanks for the info, will remember that site in future. Looks like I've got the right parts on the way though, finally.

I won't get the hours spent cross referencing part numbers, etc. back though! I thought I was avoiding that by asking the garage to do it. Apparently not ?