Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locks
I’m trying to figure out the whole locking system if anyone can help. I thought I’d figured it out, but I checked out of the window this evening (as I’m worried about someone breaking into my van  Big Grin and because a woman set off my ring doorbell while picking something up from the floor in front of my van..) and noticed a red flashing light inside the van. Went to have a look as I’d not noticed it before and it’s the lock button, flashing red, is that normal? When I lock it I’ve been pressing the lock button on the key twice, and then I hear it lock twice, presume the deadlock - would that make the red light flash continuously ? I’ve also noticed if I press it a third time it makes the indicators front and back flash for a few seconds  Huh

I’ve managed to set up the auto lock as I pull away, but wondering if I’ve done that wrong as it didn’t make a noise when I first held it down while the engine was running. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question! 

2013 berlingo
2013 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6 hdi 
https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20809.html for the flashing light.

You're right, second press of the fob lock button with 5 secs of the first press sets the deadlocks.

The third press to flash the indicators for a few seconds is to help you find your vehicle in a crowded car park at night!  Big Grin
B9 (2016) 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Multispace XTR = Mine;   B9 (2013) Enterprise 1.6 HDi Van = Hers.
(24-03-2021, 11:00 PM)Pedronicus Wrote:  https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-20809.html for the flashing light.

You're right, second press of the fob lock button with 5 secs of the first press sets the deadlocks.

The third press to flash the indicators for a few seconds is to help you find your vehicle in a crowded car park at night!  Big Grin

Ah thanks! Also agree, they could have mentioned it in the manual  Big Grin   I grabbed it when I went to investigate but only found the bit about the alarm flashing, and I don’t have an alarm! 

Ha, that makes sense when the flashing went nuts. I’ll have to try and get out of the habit of pressing it 3 times as I walk to my door  Big Grin
That's how I check I've locked my van,

I do it now on auto pilot to the deadlock stage, two clicks.

Then I get to the house and think "did I lock the van"....a quick press of the lock button from the bedroom window sets the indicators flashing rapidly for about ten secs, that tells you it is already locked. If it wasn't, there would be a single flash for a second. Deadlocking puts the indicators on solid for 2 seconds.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-03-2021, 07:49 AM)Zion Wrote:  That's how I check I've locked my van,

I do it now on auto pilot to the deadlock stage, two clicks.

Then I get to the house and think "did I lock the van"....a quick press of the lock button from the bedroom window sets the indicators flashing rapidly for about ten secs, that tells you it is already locked. If it wasn't, there would be a single flash for a second. Deadlocking puts the indicators on solid for 2 seconds.

That’s a good point actually, maybe I’ll carry on doing it! With my last car I was always ocd about checking I’d locked it, once to lock, once to check it had locked, and another at the front door just in case I hadn’t done it properly  Big Grin  So is the deadlock the little extra locks I have above the handle locks, on the barn doors and two front doors? I have 2 keys, one is the main fob, the other looks like a large house key. I haven’t actually used the ‘house’ key at all as I’m unsure if the fob completely locks both of them.
There are no "extra" locks as standard, post a pic close up (so as not to show car location etc) but those must have been added and will be what the large "house key" is, extra manual locks.

The deadlocking is part of the standard lock, it injects a bolt into a hole in the locking mech so it cannot be opened, even from the inside. If you lock a person in the car (kid, wife etc) don't trigger the deadlocks, they won't be able to escape if anything happened. Only use the deadlocks when no one is in it.

Those extra ones will be some kind of added security lock by a previous owner and will likely not move with the central locking but will need use of the house key on every lock, to lock or unlock it.

Night time extra security methinks. Like VanGuards etc.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(25-03-2021, 12:54 PM)Zion Wrote:  There are no "extra" locks as standard, post a pic close up (so as not to show car location etc) but those must have been added and will be what the large "house key" is, extra manual locks.

The deadlocking is part of the standard lock, it injects a bolt into a hole in the locking mech so it cannot be opened, even from the inside. If you lock a person in the car (kid, wife etc) don't trigger the deadlocks, they won't be able to escape if anything happened. Only use the deadlocks when no one is in it.

Those extra ones will be some kind of added security lock by a previous owner and will likely not move with the central locking but will need use of the house key on every lock, to lock or unlock it.

Night time extra security methinks. Like VanGuards etc.

Ok, I did wonder. I’ll have to have a play and see, there are 4 of them so it would be a bit of a pain to lock each individual lock every day. The dealer put an armaplate on the barn door handle for me too, as the plastic part around the key area was loose. You can see one of them here, below the handle, passenger side has one too, barn doors, and at the end of the sliding door.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Trust me it will be a lot more pain if the van gets broken into 'cos you didn't lock the security locks.  Don't ask how I know this!
B9 (2016) 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Multispace XTR = Mine;   B9 (2013) Enterprise 1.6 HDi Van = Hers.
(25-03-2021, 02:06 PM)Pedronicus Wrote:  Trust me it will be a lot more pain if the van gets broken into 'cos you didn't lock the security locks.  Don't ask how I know this!

I guess, but there’s nothing in there to steal! Even if they tried with them locked, wouldn’t it cost a fair bit to sort the door out or replace the door anyway? Even if they were locked. Im actually a dog Walker, but only do it part time now, but I equally didn’t want to write anywhere on the van that I’m a Walker, due to increased dog thefts this year. I’ve been trying to work out how I can make it clear there’s no tools in the van without advertising I carry dogs instead.
Paint it black and have "Funeral Services Transport" sign written on the sides?  Big Grin