Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removal of section of dash
Is there an easy way to remove the section of the dash circled in the pic?

Make life easier - go automatic. Cool
The easiest way of getting purchase on that insert is to pull out the head unit and tray below, then you can more easily release the trim above

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jemselectrical for this post:
  • John Bilko
(25-04-2023, 05:49 AM)jemselectrical Wrote:  The easiest way of getting purchase on that insert is to pull out the head unit and tray below, then you can more easily release the trim above

So is it just attached with poppas?  Does it come out upwards or forwards?  I spent ages tugging at it and got nowhere. lol  Even when I had the dash apart.

I'm going over to work on my one this afternoon and will have a proper shufty. I need to get at that area to connect up my dash cam power anyway, so no bother to do it

I got it done.  It does lift straight up but needed a lot of force.  It will not be going back until I sell the car as I have removed a fair bit of the plastic it attaches to to make a better place for my permanent GPS.  I will be fabricating a smaller covering for what remains

(25-04-2023, 12:21 PM)John Bilko Wrote:  I got it done.  It does lift straight up but needed a lot of force.  It will not be going back until I sell the car as I have removed a fair bit of the plastic it attaches to to make a better place for my permanent GPS.  I will be fabricating a smaller covering for what remains
Show us your progress please bud I'm interested to see what you've done

(25-04-2023, 07:47 PM)jemselectrical Wrote:  Show us your progress please bud I'm interested to see what you've done

I am nearly there.  I had a surround but it was not 100% suitable.  I made it fit and will come back to that as it will finish the job off.  At the moment you can see a break.  I split it and extended it vertically but it weakened it and also it was a bit too fat so forcing it in place broke the join. 

The dash area under the cover that I removed lends itself to a neat way of attaching the arm for a satnav or touch screen for a car radio.  This is 7".  I made a cover to replace the cover I removed; it is a lot smaller and also it means the original can go back if needs be.  I don't have the right colour paint and used black but when I can get some dark charcoal grey I will return to it.  Currently it is held in place with blutak.

The real problem was dealing with the power lead which is side mounted.  I wish it had been a rear mount - so much simpler to deal with.  

The first pic shows the screen with no surround and the second shows a rather butchered surround in place.

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to John Bilko for this post:
  • jemselectrical, Sol
It's scenarios like this where 3D printing would be super useful. They're damn expensive though

Looking fantastic dude

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jemselectrical for this post:
  • John Bilko
(28-04-2023, 06:07 AM)jemselectrical Wrote:  It's scenarios like this where 3D printing would be super useful. They're damn expensive though

Looking fantastic dude

Thanks.

TBH I could have done a better job had I not been experimenting.  I wanted it to look "factory" and got about 40% there.

And yes, 3D printing absolutely.  The surround is the make or break on this one.