Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft Boot Clip Tightening - Help!
I'm obviously doing something wrong as both of my driveshaft boots have become loose on the driveshaft after I replaced the boots some time ago. One of the clips has worm through the boot as a result and the other is about to do the same so I'm replacing them both.

I've not had any problems with the clip on the CV joint, just the driveshaft. I have the correct crimp tool & wonder if I'm over tightening them? It's also possible that I pulled the boots too far along the driveshaft before tightening them so will pay a bit more attention to that this time as there's a marker groove in the driveshaft that I might have ignored last time.
Has anyone seen any good videos or write ups on the subject? All positive tips on how to do this welcome!

Thanks
Not too tight and dry under the boot at fixing points seems to work for me.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • cancunia
Is it a plastic boot or a rubber one? I've never got on well at all with the plastic ones.

I fitted a pair of stretchy ones from Wilco on Wragby Road on my 2006/2.0HDI, and 10k later, they're still there. I use the metal clip on the inner (big) end of the boot and nip it with a pair of joiners pincers, drive about for a day so it settles as far along the shaft as it wants to be, then put a cable tie on the outer (thin) end.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ItsGreen for this post:
  • cancunia, geoff
Thanks both. It's a plastic boot as those were all that I could find. I might well try the cable tie approach on the drive shaft this time.
I bought some stainless steel drive shaft clips 'jubilee clip style' from ebay which worked well for me. I couldn't use them on cv end of shafts because of clearance but tightened well on shaft end.
I orientated them so that when rotating forwards they won't hook anything with the nut end on the clip.
I find the drive shaft clips provided with the boot kit a pain to fit on the small end.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kieron G for this post:
  • cancunia
(17-07-2023, 08:52 PM)Kieron G Wrote:  I bought some stainless steel drive shaft clips 'jubilee clip style' from ebay which worked well for me.  I couldn't use them on cv end of shafts because of clearance but tightened well on shaft end.
I orientated them so that when rotating forwards they won't hook anything with the nut end on the clip.
I find the drive shaft clips provided with the boot kit a pain to fit on the small end.

Yeah, I've had the same issue before on another car with the driveshaft clips being too small & had to buy another clip. I did think about using jubilee clips but will probably try the cable tie approach this time if the clips I have are too small to get on after letting the boots settle on the shaft.

@ItsGreen do you recall if you put the cable ties on with the car jacked up or on ramps?
Probably just stuck it in a full lock and laid down. Like I say, I'm not a fan of the thermoplastic boots at all. I've tried to fit them a few times and they always ended up coming off.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ItsGreen for this post:
  • cancunia
(18-07-2023, 03:26 PM)ItsGreen Wrote:  Probably just stuck it in a full lock and laid down. Like I say, I'm not a fan of the thermoplastic boots at all. I've tried to fit them a few times and they always ended up coming off.

Must say that I'd prefer rubber to thermoplastic but there was no choice when I was looking. I've done the driver's side and got stopped by the rain so will look at the passenger side tomorrow and hopefully get that done before more rain. 
I clamped the driver's side but will just put a cable tie on loose on the passenger side and see if settles in a different position after a few miles, then adjust the driver's side with a cable tie if needed.
A quick update on the saga, no work done on the passenger side today due to rain but I did get the driver's side mostly back together yesterday and today I did the final tightening of the drive shaft nut, so took the wheel off to get the 'R' clip back on.
The boot has moved slightly along the shaft from where I fitted it yesterday and the wheel has only turned a few times... Maybe it's meant to?
You need the Knipex Oetiker (Oetiker are the manufacturer of the clips) pliers to do them properly.

Regarding the CV boots - I get them (and all my parts) from Autodoc of Germany as they sell GKN Lobro who are OEM for CV boots. Anything less isnt worth messing about with due to the hassle of getting to the boots to replace them.
2004 Peugeot Escapade 2.0HDI. 83k miles
2004 Volvo V70 2.4  200k miles
2011 Volvo XC90 215k miles
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kyleonsite for this post:
  • cancunia