Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.29 Average
P0087 Fuel Rail Low Pressure
After 3 trouble free weeks of 1.6 HDI Berlingo Multispace motoring following the broken clutch pedal I wasn't expecting it to last.

Today 60 miles into a 115 mile journey the white(ish) warning light with the picture of an engine decided to light up as we were coming off a motorway junction. My passenger reached for the handbook and read out the list of possible issues-I didn't like the though of any of them. Decision time-return home, stop and seek help, or press on to our destination with fingers and everything else crossed. We chose the latter.
Before the light came on I had remarked that the fuel consumption seemed higher than I was expecting. As we neared our destination I sensed that we had little power at higher revs.
After dropping my passenger at their course I toured an industrial estate to find a garage open (it was saturday morning). I found one and the guy plugged the car into his hand held kit. He then looked up the error messages and said he had cleared 2:-
P0087 Fuel Rail Low Pressure
P1351 Input Circuit Malfunction
He could not work the big machine (his son was the expert but was not in on Saturday) as the big machine might give more information.
Anyway thanked him, light was out and stayed out for the 115 mile journey home and car seemed to run better.

Now please can anyone tell me the most likely cause of P0087? What should I look for? Will it re-occur? etc.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rambling_ned for this post:
  • taxi
I had a similar issue on a 407 2.0 hdi and that turned out to be a blocked fuel filter. Put a new filter on and it has run fine since. I would try this first.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to returnofjim for this post:
  • brajomobil, rambling_ned
Fuel filter is definitely the first step on the 1.6 hdi, the replacement intervals are too long, so worth a new one to begin with.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • brajomobil, rambling_ned
As mentioned on my thread " STOP " one of the codes showing when my car conked out was P0087-bad diesel blamed and fuel filter replaced. Confusedtudy:
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to taxi for this post:
  • rambling_ned, RolyG
Right I will try the fuel filter.
One additional factor that I didn't put in the first post was that the temperature outside was below 1degree celsius so this might have caused thicker diesel and exacerbated the fuel filter issue.
Car has behaved fine all week on short run town driving. Will report back when filter has been changed.
thanks for suggestions so far.
F
(08-03-2014, 06:27 PM)rambling_ned Wrote:  Right I will try the fuel filter.
One additional factor that I didn't put in the first post was that the temperature outside was below 1degree celsius so this might have caused thicker diesel and exacerbated the fuel filter issue.
Car has behaved fine all week on short run town driving. Will report back when filter has been changed.
thanks for suggestions so far.
It was minus degrees when it happened to mine
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to taxi for this post:
  • rambling_ned
It was cold here on Sunday morning with a very keen wind blowing. A short run on the main road and voila the engine light is on and car goes into limp home mode. Looks like I'll be sourcing a OBD scanner from ebay.
An OBD2 scanner was obtained for £20 from ebay. Fault codes were (again) P0087 and P1351. Looks like I'll be tackling the fuel filter in the morning.
I`ve just changed my fuel filter after poor running which coincided with me running very low on fuel and or filling up with fuel at a Total garage which I never use. I found the whole procedure simple and completed that and the air filter in less than 30 mins. No problem restarting after around 30 pumps on the fuel primer. Once in a while I fill mine up with Shell Nitro (previously Vpower) Diesel and it definately runs better. I never use supermarket fuel unless there`s no other choice.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to markyr2k1 for this post:
  • ron
As mentioned on other forums-quite a few negative comments about Citroen / Pugs being susceptible to effects of Supermarket Diesel.