Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best engine? / purchase advice
Hi All,
Due to being miss sold a Berlingo, which is being returned i'm on the hunt for another. To avoid possible pitfalls what's the concensus on the best diesel engine / mileage combo?
Is the 1.6hdi really that bad?
Is a higher mileage that's been better serviced better than a patchy low mileage?
When looking at a used Berlingo is there anything I should look out for? Negative/positive?
Lastly you're probably going to be biased but is there any real difference between the Berlingo and the Partner?

Thanks in advance... I've only driven the duff one a few times and i'm a bit hooked already.
Very pleased to read that the duff car is going back. The 1.6hdi is like anything, only people that have had problems will complain about it, the rest of us just enjoy the car. It does seem that regular oil/filter changes are the best/only way forward.
Never having driven the Partner version I cant really comment but I doubt that there is any difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
I have never tried the 1.6HDi, but it's a snappy engine with a great mileage, from what I can tell.
(It's the engine used in my sister's Ford Fusion, and on the 400+Km drive home from her house to my parents on monday, the old Suzuki Baleno 1.9TD - PSA XUD9SD - I was driving could not keep up. Sure, it would eventually crawl up to 110Km/h, but by then her car would be out of sight)
If Ford, Volvo and probably others, also use it, it can't be all bad...
(Well, FORD usually means 'Fix Or Repair Daily' but her engine still works... )

Give it attention, and good-quality oil and it'll keep on ticking. Give it crap oil, and it'll break your heart, and the turbo...

The 1.9... (XUD9 )
Suffers the age and lack of a turbo. It probably would be slow even with a turbo. Too much metal, really. Also, adjusting valve clearance is a big PITA and usually only done at a well-stocked garage.

1.9TD (XUD9SD)
I'll assume that most are better than the one in the old Baleno(It only has about 40K miles on it, but was driven by an elderly man who only used first and 5th gear, and at very low speed... )

The only reason to pick an XUD9-type engine is Torque, not mileage or speed.
Oh, and 'the engine version with the Bosch fuel pump is known to have been run with vegetable oil' according to Wikipedia...
An XUD9 with 100K on it is probably in need of a valve adjustment.
(If it hasn't been done, and is substantially past that, bail out!)
we had a pug 306 1.9 d which we passed on to our daughter 4 years ago ... still going at just on 100k

replaced that with a picasso 2.0 hdi... spent a blxxdy fortune on it trying to sort a engine management light problem

replaced it with a 1.9d berlingo

youngest son has had a 306 1.9 td had it about 3 years. had a stop solenoid fail.

apart from heater plugs and air leaks on cracked rubber diesel pipes weve had no probs with the 1.9 engines.

personally wouldnt touch a hdi if i could find a 1.9
Despite the obvious issues with the 1.6 hdi, they are all due to human intervention (or lack of it).
Despite harping on about the old 1.9 diesel & 2.0 hdi, they are not a patch on a good 1.6, performance & fuel economy are much better with the smaller engine.
All you need to do is find a decent one, and there are plenty about.
I'm looking at a 2005 2.0hdi partner later, anything to look out for on those? It's at 72,000, got a full service history so will at least have had regular oil changes.
Also had cambelt and water pump done at 62,000
(18-04-2017, 01:45 PM)stuartgrobinson84 Wrote:  ....Is the 1.6hdi really that bad?

A common question which has been asked and answered before on the forum.

https://www.berlingoforum.com/Thread-1-6...-time-bomb

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(20-04-2017, 07:16 AM)stuartgrobinson84 Wrote:  I'm looking at a 2005 2.0hdi partner later, anything to look out for on those? It's at 72,000, got a full service history so will at least have had regular oil changes.
Also had cambelt and water pump done at 62,000

I bought a 2004 2.0HDi with 107000 and it's been fine so far. Only problems that I've read about are the head gasket which can be a problem on higher mileages and the usual rear axle. There are a few posts on here about the BSI which seems to be related to water getting in via the bonnet.  With a FSH it should be fine, check the axle & coolant / oil filler caps for contamination, check that the drain in the front of the wipers is not clogged. Only problems with the 2.0 vs the 1.6 are the costs of Road Tax , Insurance & MPG. On the plus side it's normally a cheaper option to buy them for the same reasons.  
Any reason the cambelt was done so early?
Hi Stuart
Insist on a good long test drive - and take at least half an hour looking over it . If the seller isn't happy to let you drive then ask them to take you to an industrial estate or private road to check out brakes, feel of clutch, gearshift etc. If it don't smell right....walk away ...there's plenty more out there.
If you don't mind the change in layout in the back there are some very well maintained disabled converted Berlingos out there. Often they have a meticulous service record and have an easy life. My one owner 2002 1.4 had just 48K on the clock, serviced once a year for MoT and then again for the annual trip to Scotland! Older ones get moved on as a lot of folk use their mobility grant against new vehicles.
Ramp great for wheelbarrows, bikes, building materials, and still a 4 seater, or 5 if you put a chair in the middle- I'd seek out another when this one finally expires!
Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to oilyrag for this post:
  • Tomcat3
(20-04-2017, 03:20 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  Hi Stuart
Insist on a good long test drive - and take at least half an hour looking over it . If the seller isn't happy to let you drive then ask them to take you to an industrial estate or private road to check out brakes, feel of clutch, gearshift etc.  If it don't smell right....walk away ...there's plenty more out there.
If you don't mind the change in layout in the back there are some very well maintained disabled converted Berlingos out there. Often they have a meticulous service record and have an easy life. My one owner 2002 1.4 had just 48K on the clock, serviced once a year for MoT and then again for the annual trip to Scotland! Older ones get moved on as a lot of folk use their mobility grant against new vehicles.
Ramp great for wheelbarrows, bikes, building materials, and still a 4 seater, or 5 if you put a chair in the middle- I'd seek out another when this one finally expires!
Good luck!

Did the insurance people have anything to say about it being converted or change of use etc?