Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tires & Wheels] Putting spare back into cage and fixing hook.
I decided to take my spare off my XTR multispace to clean it and WD40 the hook/screw and now I can't get it back on...any tips for how the hock attaches to the cage please?
There's a slot on the cage for the hook. I lower the cage by rotating the bolt and when it is to the point where the bolt threads a level with the bottom of the hook I reach under, lift the cage slightly to allow the hook to be disengaged and lower the cage by hand. Reverse is just lift the cage to appropriate height with one hand and engage hook using the other. I use copper lube on my bolt. I have read of cases where a thief can deflate the tyre if the valve stem is pointing down and remove it in place. I put my tyre in the cage valve stem up although I don't think it's much of a risk - at least in my garage here in Switzerland.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • SRB
(20-10-2016, 03:33 PM)3rensho Wrote:  There's a slot on the cage for the hook.  I lower the cage by rotating the bolt and when it is to the point where the bolt threads a level with the bottom of the  hook I reach under, lift the cage slightly to allow the hook to be disengaged and lower the cage by hand.  Reverse is just lift the cage to appropriate height with one hand and engage hook using the other.  I use copper lube on my bolt.  I have read of cases where a thief  can deflate the tyre if the valve stem is pointing down and remove it in place.  I put my tyre in the cage valve stem up although I don't think it's much of a risk - at least in my garage here in Switzerland.

I will go out and have another try thank you 3rensho for your reply..just couldn't get it lined up.
(20-10-2016, 03:48 PM)SRB Wrote:  
(20-10-2016, 03:33 PM)3rensho Wrote:  There's a slot on the cage for the hook.  I lower the cage by rotating the bolt and when it is to the point where the bolt threads a level with the bottom of the  hook I reach under, lift the cage slightly to allow the hook to be disengaged and lower the cage by hand.  Reverse is just lift the cage to appropriate height with one hand and engage hook using the other.  I use copper lube on my bolt.  I have read of cases where a thief  can deflate the tyre if the valve stem is pointing down and remove it in place.  I put my tyre in the cage valve stem up although I don't think it's much of a risk - at least in my garage here in Switzerland.

I will go out and have another try thank you 3rensho for your reply..just couldn't get it lined up.

Now that the WD40 has worked in I managed to lower the screw bolt thing more and push the cage clip into it.  Couldn't do it with the wheel in, too heavy for me i will wait till I have someone to help me, just need a third arm!  Thanks again Smile
You could always use your car jack to lift it
2012 Berlingo Multispace VTR 1.6HDI White
Or a couple of extra Weetabix for breakfast ....................

Can I suggest using some grease on the threads as WD40 won't stay there long as it is primarily a water dispersant ....
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(20-10-2016, 10:13 PM)doofer Wrote:  ............................................. I wonder how many dollops of grease are left on the roads from us Citroen owners?  Bikers must love us.

Ahh! So you're the culprit!