Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigar sockets
Ok, i know they are generally thought of as cigar or cigarette lighters now.
I have a dash cam and reversing camera both have these plugs, what would like to know is, is there anything better like a 12v distribution set up that can me mounted in the glove box.
The socket in my Berlingo does not always connect when the ignition is switched on and i have to twist a little to make a connection.
I have run a splitter from the dash into the glovebox but it's a hideous bloody thing. I am not into cutting lumps out of the dash either.

Any thoughts????/
There are lots of combinations of 12 volt outlets available on Ebay - this one displays voltage, 2 x USB and 1x 12v.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The shape of the cigar lighter sockets was set so that you could do just that - press the knob in, then when it was red hot it would pop out and you could light a fat cigar with it.

Its shape has nothing to do with the voltage; it's just that these sockets are still fitted but rarely used for their intended purpose any more, whilst at the same time cars are having ever more gadgets in them which need 12v, so this is in practical terms (a readily available fused supply) the ideal way of connecting them up.

The only physical association between the lighter plugs and their use is that a lot of amps are needed to make the lighter plug glow red hot, therefore the centre contact (equivalent to a tip in an audio cable) is meaty enough to handle that. But for less demanding uses such as dashcams it can be much less meaty.

Oilyrag is 100% right - there's no reason why you can't swap both plugs an sockets for any other shape or type you like, just so long as they have two poles or connections (+ and -) and can handle 12v at a modest current.

TBH you could even use 3.5mm or 6.35mm jack sockets - they would work fine just so long as they were clearly labelled and no-one plugged an audio lead into them!

You will however be converting your car to non-standard connection methods which could be an issue if you resell it. Perhaps for that reason, it might be an idea to stick to types of socket and plug which are standard in other usages, such as motorhomes etc. And that's where the socket oliyrag suggested comes in. They are used in boats so use search terms like marine. You can also get plugs to fit them which you would rewire on to the end of your gadget.
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+
Thanks for the replies, I may make up something to suit me that fits in the glove box bur still use std fittings.